Door window channel felt ??

Good day,

have an order ready to go to Woolies but thought I would add window felt to it for the next job. 
Glass is 3/16th. Peering down the door gap the Channel seems to be approx 1/2” wide from a distance but don’t want to strip the door yet. 
Can anyone advise the recommended felt from Woolies catalogue ? Or the measured inside width of the metal channel. I guess I need approx 400mm length each but what width felt.

Would their part no 151 be the one. Any one used this. 

Thanks David B

Well I just used the 1" x 1/8 plain black felt from Woolies as recommended by others and it worked fine.

Tim

Tim, couldn’t find anything on searching so thanks for suggestion.
Point of detail, did you cut into narrower strips for the three sides or just wrap it into the channel bonded with impact adhesive? 

Thanks David B

No, used in one piece. I just put contact adhesive in the bottom of the channel, and carefully pushed the felt into place using a piece of 3mm thick plastic. The side pieces just stayed where they were and tend to be held securely by the window glass when it goes in place. No trimming was needed.

Worked for me!

Tim

• 3 months later...
On 11/26/2020 at 7:50 PM, Tim T said:

Well I just used the 1" x 1/8 plain black felt from Woolies as recommended by others and it worked fine.

Tim

Hello Tim

Just to clarify, are you talking about the U channels where the window slides within?

If so, kindly let me know where to purchase the felt from. I am restoring my 64 TR4 and tried to buy them from Moss, but they sell them with the channels, $69 each I will need to buy 4 !! So I left them as is for now, and they would be the only things I have not replaced, repaired or restored on the car as I am doing a full ground up restoration.

BTW I googled woolies and got to Woolworth, and if it is the store you are referring to, I could not locate the felt. Maybe you can direct me to the item?

Thank you

37 minutes ago, Challenger7 said:

Hello Tim

Just to clarify, are you talking about the U channels where the window slides within?

If so, kindly let me know where to purchase the felt from. I am restoring my 64 TR4 and tried to buy them from Moss, but they sell them with the channels, $69 each I will need to buy 4 !! So I left them as is for now, and they would be the only things I have not replaced, repaired or restored on the car as I am doing a full ground up restoration.

BTW I googled woolies and got to Woolworth, and if it is the store you are referring to, I could not locate the felt. Maybe you can direct me to the item?

Thank you

Look here https://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/category/18/window-channel

Stuart.

FWIW, replace the complete channels - rigid- because once the originals have lost their rigidity -and most did after decades of abuse- you'll never get them back to do a proper job. False economy to replace the felt only. 

There you go Stuart has got you sorted I think.

Tim

Hello Challenger7, Farouk,  

As I started this thread here's my experience.

Stuart has sorted you to the correct site as stated. Use the plain felt, 87-1-1/8 which is 1/8" x 1" wide felt. It is sized perfectly and wraps correctly into the inside of the existing U channel. 2 metres does all four guides.  As you're in Dollars I guess you could buy something similar locally.

Cut/pick out the old felt. (bit of a pain). Apply impact adhesive along the bottom of the guide and along centre of felt, lay the felt along the guide then push the felt evenly into the guide using the glass.  I held the glass vertically in my workmate and pushed the guide firmly down onto it. It then stayed in place.

Re one of the comments, I didn't find my guides lost their rigidity, simply that the bracket rivets were loose.   Tightened them to put the brackets back in the correct position then a dab of weld fixed them permanently and they are back to perfect.

Cleaned off all the old dry grease and re-greased all the pivots on the winder mechanism and both glasses now move freely. 

David B2

Just because you didn't "find" - whatever that "finding" implies- doesn't mean they haven't lost their rigidity and "simply" loose rivets is a telltale of stress on the channels which most likely may have lost their rigidity in this case. Argument set aside, the often missing and NLA horizontal tie rod plays an important role in keeping the assembly's rigidity and preventing the channels from bending. If it's not there then the channels with twist and bend.

Thank you all for chipping in, much appreciated indeed.

Stef, thank you for the vote of warning about the rigidity, and I will take that into consideration and check out the channels. From what I remember, they were quite solid with the relevant tie rod still intact and not damaged. But I will be inclined to fix them if anything needs fixing rather than invest $69 x 4 for them. These are non moving items and if all is in place, firm and strong, should be good to go.

Thanks for your input