After Brexit -- VAT / TAX on imported cars

My local News Corp (the Melbourne Herald Sun) paper says the UK is getting ready for a rerun of the Cod Wars:

Brexit: talks on verge of collapse as UK prepares to launch Navy patrols | Herald Sun

Edited by Mike C
Attempted to get the link to work. No luck.
38 minutes ago, Mike C said:

My local News Corp (the Melbourne Herald Sun) paper says the UK is getting ready for a rerun of the Cod Wars:

Brexit: talks on verge of collapse as UK prepares to launch Navy patrols | Herald Sun

We don't have anything like the number of hulls required available to control the foreign fishing fleets, nor does the modern political landscape lend itself to physical interaction between the RN and EU fishing boats.

On 12/11/2020 at 9:09 AM, cvtrian said:

Hi Blair
I don't know where you live but - It takes two to tango - IMHO both sides are at fault if there is a no deal exit, instead of win win we may get lose lose........... The UK voted to leave the EU, the EU seemingly don't want to accept that democratic decision so any blame for a no deal needs to be shared.

Ian

Ian,  can't see why the EU should be blamed for this absolutely disastrous situation the UK is now in.  As you said the UK voted to leave (wrongly in my opinion) and the EU is allowing us to do this. Of course it should protect itself in the event the field has a slope built into it. 

David B, UK resident in Kent who will see this becoming the toilet of england for all the trucks that are stuck. Also will see most things go up in price including fish as we import 80% of it. 

Edited by David B2
addition

It’s all wind and water - too many egos on both sides but I am sure it will all pan out. Wrt navy ships guarding the channel, I ask you, having done 30 years in the job it sounds great but take a reality check there maybe 4 ships patrolling the channel at the moment but there are such things as crew rotation , maintenance , unexpected events and dare I say breakdowns, what replaces the ships then? An aircraft carrier? Armed forces budget cuts over many years have left us in a real pickle and we are an island nation!!! Gosh we can’t even stop immigrants let along fishermen in bigger boats.

16 hours ago, saffrontr said:

I'm waiting for the punchline here, just what has any of this to do with the TR6?

cheers

Derek

Back to my original point: Moss asked me to refrain until next year from ordering parts for my TR6 as they can't guarantee their delivery to France because of the chaos.

Blair

1 hour ago, BlairP said:

Back to my original point: Moss asked me to refrain until next year from ordering parts for my TR6 as they can't guarantee their delivery to France because of the chaos.

Blair

Hi Blair - I thought MOSS already had a branch in Paris https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/about-moss-paris

Another alternative https://www.bastuck.de/fr/classic/triumph/   

Hope you can buy what you need
Ian

Blair p

not sure why moss would turn down good business. And if that is the case wouldn’t they tell all of their clients? Which branch did you talk to?

On 12/12/2020 at 12:32 PM, David B2 said:

Ian,  can't see why the EU should be blamed for this absolutely disastrous situation the UK is now in.  As you said the UK voted to leave (wrongly in my opinion) and the EU is allowing us to do this. Of course it should protect itself in the event the field has a slope built into it. 

David B, UK resident in Kent who will see this becoming the toilet of england for all the trucks that are stuck. Also will see most things go up in price including fish as we import 80% of it. 

UK import 80% of the fish, just that fact is a good reminder that Brexit was a correct decision. If the politicians don’t mess it up I am sure 10 years from now UK will get 80% of the fish from their own waters and their own fishermen, and still have more than enough for export...

17 hours ago, elclem1 said:

Blair p

not sure why moss would turn down good business. And if that is the case wouldn’t they tell all of their clients? Which branch did you talk to?

I spoke to the London branch, and they didn't turn the business down, just asked me to defer it. Reasoning was: huge delays at UK ports currently, so no guarantees of leaving the country before Jan. 1, at which point all could change re: duties, VAT, etc., not to mention the risk of shipments being simply lost.

And as for the Paris branch, they get their supplies from the UK as well, so are facing the same problem, particularly if you're ordering something that's not and  everyday item.

Blair

On 12/12/2020 at 4:30 PM, saffrontr said:

I'm waiting for the punchline here, just what has any of this to do with the TR6?

cheers

Derek

For me, and I hope I am not being too cold hearted its that I am losing my purchase line to UK Suppliers in 2 weeks, so am looking for good EU based suppliers so I can undertake my restore at a sensible price as my local tax authority has told me post 1 Jan they will add costly additions to anything coming from UK.

I think therefore this is quite relevant to this forum.

Richard

I got these suppliers from TR Germany for those in EU Land:

Rainer Bastuck https://www.bastuck.de/de/classic/

https://www.angloparts.com/

There is a German supplier for British car spare parts LIMORA: https://www.limora.com/en/british-cars/triumph.html

www.heuten.com or better still https://shop.afterbuy.de/public/start.aspx?suid=14720

http://tts-mausbach.de/

Richard

Edited by AarhusTr6

Ok just to put the moss thing to bed, I have talked to the manager at the Bristol office to see what the official line is.

the reply was “business as usual” there should be no increase in costs initially as this will be absorbed by moss. Eventually they may re-evaluate strategy but that is a “may”  I have no reason to doubt this as it was the manager I talked to and have no reason to doubt him.  So as far as I am concerned I shall carry on as I have in the past, ordering parts from them. I understand that there maybe hold ups at Dover due to the amount of traffic, but I seriously doubt there will be a hold up in airfreight. Or for that matter other least used ferry ports. Anyway it’s not over until the larger lady sings, is it? And they are still talking!

2 hours ago, elclem1 said:

Ok just to put the moss thing to bed, I have talked to the manager at the Bristol office to see what the official line is.

the reply was “business as usual” there should be no increase in costs initially as this will be absorbed by moss. Eventually they may re-evaluate strategy but that is a “may”  I have no reason to doubt this as it was the manager I talked to and have no reason to doubt him.  So as far as I am concerned I shall carry on as I have in the past, ordering parts from them. I understand that there maybe hold ups at Dover due to the amount of traffic, but I seriously doubt there will be a hold up in airfreight. Or for that matter other least used ferry ports. Anyway it’s not over until the larger lady sings, is it? And they are still talking!

Hi

I struggle to see how this works.  From his perspective, yes, business as usual but on the part/s coming in Denmark, I have been told that it will have additional costs, this came from the Danish Customs authorities.  The amount they add is partly depending on cost/value (cant recall how much) but you also pay an admin cost to the post courier too.  I have experienced this when I bought some stuff from USA where I got hit about 40% on top of what I paid!  

So yes, from his point of view, biz as usual, but this is not just a shipping issue, its a VAT import issue, and I have been told clearly from Told/Skat which is the Danish customs purchase from UK will now be treated as though buying from the US.  So I wont buy anything from UK for my TR project now as it is too risky.

Not trying to make a political statement here BTW!

Richard

Edited by AarhusTr6
  • 1 month later...

If he doesn't stop it I'm going to post 3 x D3 articals a day on his NOT the D3 thread...lol,  still it's nice that John can get value from his Which subscription (excellent and good value organisation). Having read all 13 points in the artical none of them should fill anybody with dread, and the idea of any them causing a leave voter to change their mind is farcical.

That's what life is like, you win some and loose some.

Mick Richards

Edited by Motorsport Mickey

Hi

I buy my parts from Germany now due to Brexit/Tarifs/courier charges etc. so end of subject I guess  - but not a nice ending if your a UK supplier!!!

Edited by AarhusTr6
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok so -- I was correct from last year about TR6 stuff-  its all gonna pan out for UK OK  and for EU ok -  The UK, thank God and cleverly , got what it deserves a true WORLD  level playing field - Which unfortunate the EU members arn;t gonna be able to access -- But you know I still think eventually some where down the line it will all pan out for everyone OK - So I still say the same thing for TR6 bits and members - ITS ALL GONNA BE OK -- RELAX -- ANDREW  BYE THE WAY HAPPY 151st BIRTHDAY TO ME 

10 hours ago, ANDREW PERKINS said:

Ok so -- I was correct from last year about TR6 stuff-  its all gonna pan out for UK OK  and for EU ok -  The UK, thank God and cleverly , got what it deserves a true WORLD  level playing field - Which unfortunate the EU members arn;t gonna be able to access -- But you know I still think eventually some where down the line it will all pan out for everyone OK - So I still say the same thing for TR6 bits and members - ITS ALL GONNA BE OK -- RELAX -- ANDREW  BYE THE WAY HAPPY 151st BIRTHDAY TO ME 

I am not sure what you mean...

Edited by AarhusTr6

I ship parts (not TR) all over the World and not just Europe.

Just been informed ParcelForce and Landmark will not currently ship to Europe and if I do manage to find a courier like FedEx or UPS I have to fill out an export Customs document for all Europe with HS codes for each different item in the package.

HS codes seem to be a nightmare so currently Europe is a no go.   Australia, USA, Canada, South Africa, New Zealand no issues !!!

No wonder Moss and others are confused.

Neil

42 minutes ago, Ransomes256 said:

I ship parts (not TR) all over the World and not just Europe.

Just been informed ParcelForce and Landmark will not currently ship to Europe and if I do manage to find a courier like FedEx or UPS I have to fill out an export Customs document for all Europe with HS codes for each different item in the package.

HS codes seem to be a nightmare so currently Europe is a no go.   Australia, USA, Canada, South Africa, New Zealand no issues !!!

No wonder Moss and others are confused.

Neil

I am on the receiving end . . seems we just stepped back 40 years.  You know, dont see any UK good in supermarkets now, like cheddar etc.  Also ordering from UK is just not worth the risk, as you can be whacked a pile on top for so called tax handling charges.  I think if something does not change it will start to really bite into exporters revenues but to be honest, this was known years ago, it took countries like NZ years to make any sort of deal with the EU so I personally dont think its anthing that will fix soon I am sad to say.