After Brexit -- VAT / TAX on imported cars

SO -- My brains working overtime this morning --  Erm - So when an imported vehicle lands here from the USA normally its not subject to VAT and has a very low 5% or 0% import duty tax on its purchase price -- as it was originally made in the UK ( EU ) ---------------------------OK So after the 1st Jan  we are BREXITEDED -- Does anyone know if ===  as non EU members is the UK Gov going to charge us VAT at 20% on the purchase price ( or Value ) and import duty tax at whatever 10% , 20%  --   anyone any clue what so ever -- I doubt the DVLA knows - maybe we all know better ???  !!!       ANYONE 

Andrew Perkins

47 minutes ago, ANDREW PERKINS said:

SO -- My brains working overtime this morning --  Erm - So when an imported vehicle lands here from the USA normally its not subject to VAT and has a very low 5% or 0% import duty tax on its purchase price -- as it was originally made in the UK ( EU ) ---------------------------OK So after the 1st Jan  we are BREXITEDED -- Does anyone know if ===  as non EU members is the UK Gov going to charge us VAT at 20% on the purchase price ( or Value ) and import duty tax at whatever 10% , 20%  --   anyone any clue what so ever -- I doubt the DVLA knows - maybe we all know better ???  !!!       ANYONE 

Andrew Perkins

My suspicion is that everyone will be charged @ 20% on the whole of the transaction including clearance charges, especially if the transaction is a delivered price to your destination. One would have to get a copy of the customs blue book amendments or speak to your local customs house for info shortly?

Bruce.

As I understand nothing is decided yet, could be an last minute trade deal of some sort, maybe even another extension? Or it could be 20% vat, will be exiting to see what happens.

I thought collection vehicles only were 5% certainly when you import into the EU from the states it is.

you can be sure about one thing. due to covid the chancellor will use every trick in his book to raise revenue from what ever source he can. I think the only taxes that wont rise will be Income tax and National insurance as there was a manifesto commitment not to raise those. 

hoges. 

The gov.uk site is clear if we reach a deal, these are the terms.

1. Heading 9705 includes collectors’ motor vehicles and aircraft of historical or ethnographic interest which are:

(a) in their original state, without substantial changes to the chassis, body, steering, braking, transmission or suspension system, engine, wings etc. Repairing and restoring is allowed, and broken or worn-out parts, accessories and units can/have been replaced, provided that the vehicle is preserved and maintained in the historically correct condition. Modernised or modified motor vehicles and aircraft are excluded;

(b) in the case of motor vehicles at least thirty years old. in the case of aircraft fifty years old;

(c) of a model or type which is no longer in production.

The requisite characteristics for inclusion in a collection being relatively rare, not being normally used for its original purpose, being the subject of special transactions outside of the normal trade in similar utility articles, and being of greater value are presumed to be fulfilled for motor vehicles and aircraft which comply with the above three criteria.

This heading also includes, as collectors’ items:

motor vehicles and aircraft, irrespective of their date of manufacture, which can be proved to have been used in the course of an historic event.

motor racing vehicles and aircraft which can be proved to have been designed, built and used solely for competition and which have achieved significant sporting success at prestigious national or international events.

Parts and accessories for motor vehicles and aircraft are classified in this heading, provided that they are original parts or accessories, that they are at least thirty years old (for motor vehicles) or at least fifty years old (for aircraft), and that they are no longer in production.

Replicas and reproductions are excluded, unless they fulfil the above three criteria.

Import

The commodity code for importing is 9705000010.

Goods are subject to VAT standard rate (20.00 %) or VAT reduced rate 5% (5.00 %), Please see related guidance as to when zero VAT applies.

Importing from outside the EU is subject to a third country duty of 0.00 % unless subject to other measures.

Hope this helps

Iain

2 hours ago, Phil Read said:

Once we leave fully we will go back to having the dearest new cars in Europe.

Probably not, many European countries have had, and still has high taxes on new cars, higher than it ever was in the U.K. Anyway maybe import taxes will make it possible for more domestic car production in the U.K, and not only cars.

Unless  a trade deal is struck, this will hit the parts suppliers who are UK based.

Racetorations for example sent me an email encouraging me to do a pre-brexit bulk buy as this would be the last opportunity before big tarrifs hit.  I dont want to talk politics, but this means I will shop elsewhere as UK supplied goods will be too expensive and I cant see this being good for those who are in this business & I am sure those who voted BREXIT did not foresee this or want UK business to suffer, its a crappy situation.  The best EU supplier I can find is quite a big dealer in Mechelen/Belgium, Moss.Fr apparantly has very little stock.

I spoke to a person once at one of the big suppliers and he said they send a lot to EU and they were really worried.

Richard

Sorry to say I am a wall sitter ----- I cherry pick both.       Ok thanks be to everyone -- SO -- TAX - VAT or whatever new ones they come up with..  Basically its all going to end up "RELATIVE" - whether you live in or buy from the UK or EU - To use a  good old English phraze - "Its all gonna pan out the same eventually for UK and EU - - So there wont be much change for Buyers of cars or suppliers of parts eventually. I keep using that word eventually so eu and uk are gonna have to bite the bullet for a few years I reckon.. We might even end up with a more level playing field in the end than we had with EU based country;s and the other side of the English Channel since the Common Market, which ended up as not being so common, -- -- just a note to everyone - I am at this moment sourcing Re-chrome on my parts in Russia - Its cheap as chips - for obvious reasons. And it looks like I'm going to be able to get parts copied and made specially for me at even less the EU or UK suppliers can provide. So bit of forward thinking there. in fact its not that dear to fly and pick stuff up and come back ( off peak from kids holidays) -- So all's well that will end well -- Thankyou to everyone.  I noted on the Delorean owners club they state clearly after talks with local gov' there will be no change whatsoever to the current VAT and 5% or in fact 0% -- Mmm - of course they are not classics -   Regards to everyone,, Andrew

Hi Andrew

Often for me I need all the smaller bits, so for example I am rebuilding my top end and buy the new studs, gaskets etc from UK will now be too expensive as I then have to pay admin costs and other, its a sad situation in my opinion.

Anyway, I can see there is a Moss France, also a shop called Anglo Parts in Belgium, does anyone else have any other suggestions?

Richard

I tried to place a significant order with Moss yesterday, and was advised to wait until after Jan. 1. Not only do they not know whether the parts will get to me because of the current chaos at the ports, they're not sure what would happen to them in the event of a delay. I can't imagine the situation will improve magically on Jan. 1. I spoke to my gearbox rebuilder as well, and they're going to load it and some other EU work into a truck and drive it over themselves before the end of the year. Everyone I spoke to in the UK was scathing about the incompetence of its government. It truly is a fuster cluck, and while the UK itself will get what it deserves, there will be lots of collateral damage, including to many members of this forum.

Blair

42 minutes ago, BlairP said:

I tried to place a significant order with Moss yesterday, and was advised to wait until after Jan. 1. Not only do they not know whether the parts will get to me because of the current chaos at the ports, they're not sure what would happen to them in the event of a delay. I can't imagine the situation will improve magically on Jan. 1. I spoke to my gearbox rebuilder as well, and they're going to load it and some other EU work into a truck and drive it over themselves before the end of the year. Everyone I spoke to in the UK was scathing about the incompetence of its government. It truly is a fuster cluck, and while the UK itself will get what it deserves, there will be lots of collateral damage, including to many members of this forum.

Blair

Hi Blair
I don't know where you live but - It takes two to tango - IMHO both sides are at fault if there is a no deal exit, instead of win win we may get lose lose........... The UK voted to leave the EU, the EU seemingly don't want to accept that democratic decision so any blame for a no deal needs to be shared.

Ian

An unfortunate side result of politics is business suffers and we won't be able to buy from UK anymore...who wins ??

our sister club in Germany has sent us a list of German vendors which I will post soonest.

Richard

Edited by AarhusTr6