TR2 Overdrive Switch Position ?

Hi,

could I get some thoughts on the attached TR2 dash photo please.

There are holes in the metal dash (under my A & B stickers) and the holes have been trimmed over. I want to fit an overdrive switch with a separate neon indicator fairly soon, but leaving a thought for a heater switch at some point in the future.

Bill P's books show a variety of combinations and layouts in this area of the dash and I was looking for some standard positions to follow.

Many Thanks

Bob

Dash RH side.jpg

You want the switch where your fingers can reach it without having to take your hand from the steering wheel.

That's probably B on Bob's mock-up, but your original B might be suitable (and would avoid the need to drill a further hole).

Ian Cornish

On my 3A, the egg-shaped overdrive switch is at your original B position and it falls easily to my fingers without moving my hand from the wheel. Depends what you priority is: originality or convenient use (if Bob's B position is not so convenient).

If you are going to instal an 'overdrive on' indicator, I do not think this was ever standard. I installed one and used a new dash bulb mount with a green lens and a green LED. Works well. Picture below if it helps.

IMG_6351.thumb.jpg.4dc133215b54263d03ce50af81f43f4d.jpg

Miles

Just for the record, I find the O/D switch in "my" position is easily flicked up or down without taking hands off wheel. Of course TR2's actualy had a push pull switch in that position ( like the panel light switch)

Bob

I agree with Bob.  When I rebuilt my car and converted it from LHD to RHD I acquired a S/H dashboard which was ready drilled for overdrive in the position Bob recommends. Initially I thought about moving the switch but I use one of the original egg style switches and it falls beautifully to hand. 

Rgds Ian

Edited by Ian Vincent
9 hours ago, Lebro said:

Just for the record, I find the O/D switch in "my" position is easily flicked up or down without taking hands off wheel. Of course TR2's actualy had a push pull switch in that position ( like the panel light switch)

Bob

I thought that too Bob so purchased the push-pull switch. Turns out only very early TR2's used that one, later ones (mines Sept '55) were eggshaped switch according to Bill P's books.

Same dash hole though I think.

I take your point Ian C about switching the OD in/out with the fingertips, I personally prefer the stalk type switch (as fitted to 4A & later cars) so the eggshape switch in a way is the closest to this as its a lever action not a pull action which is near impossible with one finger!

Miles: yes your OD indicator looks good. A neon indicator (or LED) is planned for mine, but it will be mounted alongside the switch since as I already have a spare hole there.

Thanks All

Bob

Edited by OldBob

Original positions and switches for a TR2.

F9870F19-84C7-4057-9849-A30ABBF7691C.jpeg

7 hours ago, John McCormack said:

Original positions and switches for a TR2.

F9870F19-84C7-4057-9849-A30ABBF7691C.jpeg

Precisely the layout in the link I gave from the Triumph Laycock installation manual.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B2H2NJt34OffMDVmOTZlZWItYTcyMy00ZDhkLTliOWEtOWU1OWRhNDZhYmRl

Thanks again all, photos very clear & I think that has answered the question on switch positions, it appears my dash was probably swapped as there is no hole in the OD position and it was an OD car from the factory.

However, I'm now investigating the egg shaped switch for the OD which I read is not only correct for the late TR2 (from TS6266) but also allows single-finger use.

I found a reference to this in Bill P's book 'TR2, 3 & 3A in Detail" on P186 and Bill refers to the egg shape switch as the "Drum-Type overdrive flick switch" which I assume is the one. This was May '55 so some months before TR2 production ending.

Regards

Bob

• 4 months later...

The egg type switch should be installed with up as off and down as on. On a RHD car it sits to the right of the steering wheel and can be flicked on or off without removing a hand from the wheel. On a 3b which I guess is LHD I imagine it should be to the left of the wheel but I am sure someone will be along in a moment to confirm or otherwise on this.

Rgds Ian

If you haven't got an ohmmeter to measure across the terminals, use a battery and torch bulb. 

11 hours ago, JeffreyKozy said:

A picture of the “egg” switch with the Toggle in the On position would help

thanks

No picture but if you have an original switch and look at the back side of it where the three screws are that hold it together the screw on the circular section by the toggle denotes the on position

Stuart.

Stuart, that depth of detailed knowledge is just outrageous (as ever)!

Before installing my repro 'egg' switch, I simply connected the wires to a battery and bulb from a torch to check the 'open' position. Simples.

Miles

13 hours ago, JeffreyKozy said:

A picture of the “egg” switch with the Toggle in the On position would help

thanks

It can be wired so up or down are on.

My car has it wired so up is on.

Here too see the way the wires are connected to swap up or down “on”.  These are original Lucas switches.   I do not have any repro ones to compare.
Peter W

4476A5DB-0D38-420B-BFBD-8F1E3FD53BB7.jpeg

D6B2AC60-4EDC-4434-BE83-9403D49E4AC3.jpeg

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

In the UK, we turn ON the power to a light or to a device plugged into a 13A socket by putting the switch DOWN.

However, I seem to recall that on the Continent, and possibly in the USA, it is UP for ON.

Perhaps that is why some TRs have the overdrive switch operating in the opposite way to the conventional UK arrangement?

Ian Cornish

16 hours ago, ianc said:

In the UK, we turn ON the power to a light or to a device plugged into a 13A socket by putting the switch DOWN.

However, I seem to recall that on the Continent, and possibly in the USA, it is UP for ON.

Perhaps that is why some TRs have the overdrive switch operating in the opposite way to the conventional UK arrangement?

Ian Cornish

The reason the UK has down for on is IIRC to aid disabled people as its easier to pull down than push up. FWIW on the BBC sound desks the faders work the opposite way to normal in that you have to pull them back to turn the sound up, this was done in case whoever was working it passed out and slumped forward thus turning the volume to full.:o

Stuart.