Info on cooling wanted for TR4

Revotec are very expensive and another "Fan motor can be had for oodles Less, buy how to switch it? what thread is the drain tap on the right hand side of the block Please pipe thread? 3/8" 1/2" if so I can get a switch and fit it here, also makes sense due to the rear of the block running hottest, i.e., furthest from the water pump.

Hi Pete

Revotec ? Have you fitted it or entertaining the 'cheaper' alternative ? I had a marginal ebay fan on LNK for years, it talked the talk but couldn't do the rest of it despite the noise it made. Swapped it out during lock down for a dedicated sucker Revotec. Difference was night and day and well worth the investment. I already had the generic temp switch in the down pipe with a manual override in the cab, just switched it over, no problem

What temp switch were you using before ?

Put a sender unit in the hose somewhere

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/45mm-x-80mm-Hose-Joiner-M12-X-1-5-Boss-Adaptor-Water-Temp-Sensor-Sender-1-3-4/184379273578?hash=item2aeddc716a:g:DUMAAOSwlWJde9MQ

Buy a branded automotive grade fan: Denso, Marelli, Valeo etc

Fabricate a mount & a shroud

Make sure you have enough Amps to run the fan...it could be drawing ~40 Amps

Pete

fit the proper down tube with the boss in it

https://www.revingtontr.com/product/130039sst/name/pipe-with-adaptor

then fit the thermos switch like this  other temp ranges available  

https://www.revingtontr.com/product/im50250/name/switch-thermo-on-88c-off-74c

I use this fan 12” 220w version

12" 220w Aeroline® Electric Radiator / Intercooler 12v Cooling Fan Universal

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201162081812

with the plastic spring loaded through rad ties  

I also have a manual override switch  

work for me  

Agree with Hamish, downpipe temp controller is the way to go

However, I'm not sure about the ebay fan. NOTE my comments refer to the best selling Aeroline, the 120W version. Hamish has the 220W which should be nearly twice as powerful and I'm sure has served him well. Whilst mine was the 120W version and, whilst drawing a lot of amps, was rubbish in operation, clearly underpowered. Replaced with the Revotec dedicated puller 

Pete

I am sure you know this but there is also a range of thermo switches. In my experience, sensible to establish how your car runs heatwise before selecting the appropriate on / off temperatures. I tried 3 different thermo switches with different combinations on / off before identifying the combination that works best. Also, there is a wider range of thermo switches out there than just those from the usual suspects.

Miles

12 hours ago, North London Mike said:

Hi Pete

Revotec ? Have you fitted it or entertaining the 'cheaper' alternative ? I had a marginal ebay fan on LNK for years, it talked the talk but couldn't do the rest of it despite the noise it made. Swapped it out during lock down for a dedicated sucker Revotec. Difference was night and day and well worth the investment. I already had the generic temp switch in the down pipe with a manual override in the cab, just switched it over, no problem

What temp switch were you using before ?

Haven't used any before still assembling my Imported TR4, and have gone down the narrow belt route.

I am driving a standard TR4A in Malaysia, ambient 30-32C, afternoon temperatures melting tarmac. I have original mechanical fan only, no shroud...not even the tropical fan ...just the 4blade metal contraption. Never boils, sits just past halfway on the gauge most of the time...will inch towards the red in afternoon traffic but never into the red and never burping water onto the floor (std expansion bottle).

My advice above from my BMW 2002 experience...with air-conditioning so much more heat load. Denso fan, 80A alternator.

I think that the TR4A has a somewhat wider core than the TR4, and so fills the width of the shroud and benefits from slightly more cooling.

BTW, the metal "down tube" is really the up tube as it is returning coolant from the bottom of the radiator to the pump.

Ian Cornish

10 hours ago, ianc said:

I think that the TR4A has a somewhat wider core than the TR4, and so fills the width of the shroud and benefits from slightly more cooling.

BTW, the metal "down tube" is really the up tube as it is returning coolant from the bottom of the radiator to the pump.

Ian Cornish

Thanks for that info am going with a kenlowe Switch, very kindly donated by a forum member, and will source a fan recommended by Dave (CTC)