Changing a head gasket.

Some gaskets say TOP on them. Maybe the others do not matter so long as the holes line up.

I have never put jointing component on a head gasket and I have never had one blow. My dad always put a smear of grease on, I have continued that practice, but what good it does I have no idea, I suspect none.   John

A few years ago I was on a similar sealant question, and I might well be wrong on this, but seem to recall a thread (maybe circa 2012) on the forum suggesting NOT to use wellseal on head gaskets, as it can also lift the sleeves the next time the head is removed - just don't have the skills to bring that thread up.

Maybe worth one more search before you head down that path.

Cheers,

Alf

"as it can also lift the sleeves the next time the head is removed"

Sorry there Silver Fox, but whatever you read, the idea that a coating of Wellseal will prove enough of an adhesive to move a liner (especially if it's been in there a couple of years) is not likely at all.

After 2 years the liners have the idea they are part of the block and likely will need a withdrawal tool like a threaded bar and pulling formers to remove. It is good practice to clamp the liners if you plan to spin the engine upside down on a freshly built cleaned engine block (the liners are an easy slide fit into the block) or even just turning over the engine where you still have pistons in the bore and there is a degree of "drag" from the piston rings.. But considering the liners are fitted onto a generous coating of Wellseal around the figure of 8 gaskets and then torqued down to 105 lb ft there is a clash of methods here.

"Don't turn over the engine without clamps on the liners otherwise the drag from piston rings could break the Fo8 Wellsealed gasket joints, (that means the adhesion from the Wellseal is not all that great) aginst "don't Wellseal the head gasket on the adhesion from the Wellseal will lift the liner sleeves, ...err but they are stuck in with the same Wellseal that is around the head gasket ? "  I think that there's a degree of urban myth here, I've used Wellseal on ALL my copper and steel headgaskets, and on race engines having mid season head off is not unusual, and never experienced the Wellseal causing the liners to be pulled up.

Mick Richards    

Putting a thin sliver of grease on a copper head gasket used to be common practice which I've done myself over the years. As far as I'm aware it's done to ensure the gasket lies flat when it's torqued down and doesn't 'pick up' on the head or block.

Cheers,

JeffR