Head removal

1 minute ago, Motorsport Mickey said:

Perhaps you could pad out this reply rather than wait for another 3 people to disagree to make your point ?

Mick Richards

because if he wants to learn how an internal combustion engine converts heat to rotation google will tell him without me typing thousands of words

Just now, mtrehy said:

because if he wants to learn how an internal combustion engine converts heat to rotation google will tell him without me typing thousands of words

Then just copy and paste it with the disproving passages underlined rather than put a bunch of people to the task of Googling and proof reading double meanings to decide what you mean. Accredited posts with supporting references are better accepted by all rather just than a clash of opinions.

Mick Richards

4 minutes ago, Motorsport Mickey said:

Then just copy and paste it with the disproving passages underlined rather than put a bunch of people to the task of Googling and proof reading double meanings to decide what you mean. Accredited posts with supporting references are better accepted by all rather just than a clash of opinions.

Mick Richards

Who made you the boss princess?

No Boss (but Royal parentage may or not be a factor lol )Just trying to pointi out the best way to have a meaningful discussion, personally I'd rather have members understand what I mean rather than leave us high and dry trying to decipher what you mean and how it applies in this case.

Mick Richards

33 minutes ago, Andy Moltu said:

I trust wrist slapping won’t be required chaps!

That's a bit previous Andy, we are just jousting.

Mick Richards

You got what you deserve for putting a robe in the cylinders and than using the starter.

And you are a VERY honest man telling us this fault.

It is worth a chapter in a book like "what idea was this", or "TR-@!&?@ happens" :ph34r:

Edited by Z320
with thanks to the moderator

The power of the starter motor should not be underestimated likewise the momentum of the crank (gained by a few degrees of rotation by the starter) added to that could well be enough to damage to the rod.

The angle of the force applied to the con rods during combustion is at its peak when the piston is high in the block the rope trick may well impact the piston lower down in the bore with forces less axial so more likely to bend a rod.

1 hour ago, Andy Moltu said:

The power of the starter motor should not be underestimated likewise the momentum of the crank (gained by a few degrees of rotation by the starter) added to that could well be enough to damage to the rod.

The angle of the force applied to the con rods during combustion is at its peak when the piston is high in the block the rope trick may well impact the piston lower down in the bore with forces less axial so more likely to bend a rod.

I can see that,however the piston must have been way down the boar as I stated so must have had one hell of a thump :o bottom line it does work if you know what you are doing, if not ask or get someone to do it for you.

2 hours ago, ntc said:

I can see that,however the piston must have been way down the boar as I stated so must have had one hell of a thump :o bottom line it does work if you know what you are doing, if not ask or get someone to do it for you.

So if I had used the starter with the piston only a little way down the bore, the rod would have been alright? 

Now, just tell me how to make sure about that?

11 minutes ago, john.r.davies said:

So if I had used the starter with the piston only a little way down the bore, the rod would have been alright? 

Now, just tell me how to make sure about that?

First of all as others have said never use the starter.You have posted on here and many other forums on how to find TDC yes?

3 hours ago, ntc said:

First of all as others have said never use the starter.You have posted on here and many other forums on how to find TDC yes?

1 hour ago, john.r.davies said:

But if I start at TDC, it'll SUCK the rope DOWN!

How far down the bore is safe, ntc?

Grow up, the pair of you!! Play nicely.

Dave

Find TDC and then wind the engine BACKWARDS until the crown of the piston is 1/2" down from TDC (stick a long pencil in the hole) fill with rope and away you go ?

Mick Richards 

6 minutes ago, Motorsport Mickey said:

Find TDC and then wind the engine BACKWARDS until the crown of the piston is 1/2" down from TDC (stick a long pencil in the hole) fill with rope and away you go ?

Mick Richards 

Vital info for anyone attempting the rope trick for the first time. Fortunately I've never needed to try it.

Nigel

On 11/21/2020 at 11:45 AM, AarhusTr6 said:

Dear comrades I'm needing some help

I am now on Day 2 of trying to lift the head off my engine and after too much reading the summary is I need to get the studs out.  I have read the trick about using two nuts but the studs do not protrude far enough out to get two nuts on there so I am a little bit stuck.   Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi you are my only hope....!!!

Richard

Richard,

Your first query was how to lift the head. This has moved tangentially to how to remove the head studs with the head in place.

I have broken the bond and removed my cylinder head in the past with a simple pinch bar at the front right hand side. Put a 5/16" unf stud in the top of the 2 holes provided  in the block to fix the engine lifting bracket to. It is just possible to get a pinch bar under the edge of the head below the first manifold stud. Lever down on that stud in the block and you will lift the front edge of the head, just enough to break the bond. Once you've done that you can, carefully, work other pinch bars or screwdrivers into the gap to lift it all the way to the back. Then just lift vertically up the head studs. It's awkward but it does work.

I have also used the rope trick successfully, without damage, on my race car which has a head seriously skimmed so that there isn't really room to get a pinch bar under that front edge/corner. Perhaps I was just lucky.

Dave McD

12 hours ago, ntc said:

It has to be right to give you some idea I have seen to many blocks that once cleaned and crack tested after forcing the wrong studs out on the wet side at the rear 

Sounds painful