TR2 TR3 Cappings - What Should It Look Like and How Does it Fit ?

I am in the process or rebuilding my TR3a and I have bought a set of coverings for the cockpit cappings. I carefully removed the vinyl coverings which had been stuck on with contact adhesive. Copious amounts of petrol softened up the glue and so now the steel and aluminium cappings are ready to recover and fit.

As with everyone who goes through this the aluminium is soft and I am not the first person to have ago at this feature on my car so although the dash one is good the three aluminium ones which go at the back are not quite the same shape and fit as made for Standard Triumph back in 1958.

Has anyone got any pictures of how they should fit and be secured both inside and outside the car and quite how the hood webbing gets involved. Ideally some pictures could be posted in the forum as an answer so all can see or a PM would be gratefully received.

The pictures I have seen on the internet so far show that the cappings are quite clear of the lift the dot pegs, this was a surprise to me as for 20 years my car has had the pegs touching the cappings. No doubt every car is different but mine are not right.

Thanks in anticipation.  John

Mine were all bashed and bent too, but managed to tease them all back into reasonable shape . The side ones follow on from the elbow cappings, which in turn are guided by the door cappings, so if you can get them all to follow on from each other you should be about right. The rear side cappings are held by the same screws that hold the top of the B post trim panel. If you look closely you should be able to find the screw holes in the cappings and the inner framework of the B post which will give you a good guide. The rear capping just lips over the rear panel edge once fitted and finishes above the plates that hold the webbing for the hood. This is rarely seen anyway as it is covered either by the hood or the hood stick bag.

Someone will no doubt put some photos on here for you, alas I can`t at the minute as I have removed all mine again pending the arrival of my rear trim panels, currently on order from Aldridge Trim in Birmingham.

Ralph

Tony and Ralph, Thank you for your replies. This is like a jigsaw, by gleaning the bits of information you do not have it all slowly starts to fit together.

So the fitment / alignment order is door cappings, elbow cappings, rear sides (located at least in part by the same screw as the back of the elbow) and then the long capping across the back which is above the lift the dot pegs.

Tony, if you could show on a photo how the webbing is arranged where it attaches to the body that would be most helpful, also any photos from the inside of the car showing where the screws are would also be handy. Am I right in thinking that there are no fastenings on the outside of the car which secure the cappings ?

I really want to know what the objective of my endeavours should look like.

Just snapped this photo for you. I have used seat belt webbing as its just the right size, doubled over at the end, then the lift the dot peg goes through the inner hole and a screw through the outer hole in the plate, and through the webbing.

20201121_094219.jpg

Hi John,

Here’s a couple of snapshots, mine is original webbing and has not been disturbed for many a year....... Certainly not my place to tell you but I would be surprised if the aluminium capping was ever flawless, I think you could put in a huge amount of time and effort for ever diminishing returns...... My approach (I resprayed about 35-40 years ago) was to put back same as it left the production line, warts and all. - it is all hidden away 99% of time anyway by either the tonneau or frame cover (mine came off a Spitfire, cheap as chips and looks at million dollars on the car! Happy to send a photo or, you can already find on here)

As per the photos, line the rear capping up and put the two screws in then the side cappings fit snuggly over at the rear and under towards the fr5B26A811-B475-4BA4-A455-BDE33918A1DC.thumb.jpeg.d9a29cff1654bdcde2929d3cc9e78ed8.jpegont 

D40E67BF-A4FB-4143-AFBB-92860C56BEA4.thumb.jpeg.ab505a1a5b8baaf4147ecdf3209cac85.jpeg 

15 hours ago, john minchin said:

Very interesting thank you, the capping goes up where the webbing is, I assumed mine was adjusted in its past, I will leave that aspect alone.

Neat idea with the seat belt webbing though.    John

Havent you finished that car yet John? Taking your time about it.:ph34r:

Stuart.

Stuart,   I have been almost fearing that you would spot that detail. It starts and runs, now I am down to the interior which I am not too enthused about. But keen to get it as good as I can, over my lengthened Christmas break I intend to crack on with this aspect having bought a kit from John Skinner.

The body is all back together after a partial strip to get the engine in etc and looks great. It is a constant source of surprise that although the car was in regular use before the rebuild how much attention almost every part needs before reassembly. I'm enjoying it which is the main thing but it will be ready in July, which July nobody knows.    John