... having a rest from throttle linkage at the moment and thought that I would sort out the original gearbox tunnel cover on the 5. The cover is in pretty good condition but has a couple of weak points which I thought that I would strengthen with some fibreglass patches on the interior of the car side. However the underside has got a fair amount of underseal 'overspray' on it. I can remove the thick bits and make it look flatish and tidy but I want to paint something black back in there. I cannot remove all traces of the underseal as the base surface is textured and still holds underseal so I imagine no paints will adhere. Will fresh underseal bond ok or is there a better solution?

All suggestions welcomed.

Thanks,

Tim

Apart from the why bother answer, you could always give it a wipe over underneath with spirit wipe and then black waxoyl  (rather than underseal which isnt nice) just to colour it, its hardly visible at all from underneath and as your only going to see under there when it runs you over that will do fine. If you pour the waxoyl into a bowl and allow the solvents to evaporate for a week it brushes on nicely.

Stuart.

1 minute ago, stuart said:

If you pour the waxoyl into a bowl and allow the solvents to evaporate for a week it brushes on nicely.

Stuart.

Alternatively, Bilthamber do a thick brush on waxy anti rust coating that works well. 

Rgds Ian