Gearbox tunnel blanking grommet for propshaft u/j?

Got some bits and pieces in the post today including a new blanking grommet for the greasing access hole in the tunnel. I am disappointed that it seems a very sloppy fit. As it is fitted on the curved rear part of the tunnel it is sloppy side to side and pops out. It is ok front to back. I suspect that no allowance has been made for the fact that as it is on a curved surface it needs to be wider and more oval in shape. This came from one of the usual suppliers and is another example of parts that do not fit. Does anyone know of a supplier of a good  bung that will fit and stay in the hole !!

Ralph.

Yes Roger, that's the one, and that`s where I got it from.  The hole is 2.25 inches diameter, and the plug is 2.25 also, so it fits front to back, but because the  hole has been cut through a curved surface it`s real measurement side to side is nearer 2.5 inches, if that makes sense. Hole is round when viewed from the top. The lip on the plug is only about an eigth of an inch deep, so when you push the plug to one side the opposite side pops out of the hole.

Ralph

Hole resised.jpg

Plug resised.jpg

plug side view.jpg

In the dim and distant past I lost the grommet in my car. I think that I used one from the transmission cover for a Series 3 Land Rover. There are some on Ebay. Perhaps you could get the supplier to measure one to make sure.

Mine has the same fit issue. I think the originals were made slightly bigger.

Looking for pictures of fitment on other cars last night and realised that the access hole was deleted on TR3a`s. , so my tunnel is probably from an earlier car.

I will keep the hole so that the u/j can be given a squirt with the grease gun occasionaly, and hide the grommet under the carpet where it won`t annoy me.

9 hours ago, Dick said:

In the dim and distant past I lost the grommet in my car. I think that I used one from the transmission cover for a Series 3 Land Rover. There are some on Ebay. Perhaps you could get the supplier to measure one to make sure.

I looked at these, and helpfully 2 of the suppliers give dimensions. One was too large and the other too small for the propshaft hole, however I did discover that 334189 is exactly the right size for the jack hole in the floor, as once again the part supplied by Moss is a very sloppy fit and I imagine easily lost being about 1/4 inch too small for the 3 inch hole so have ordered a pair of these instead. Many thanks Dick for the lead.

Ralph

45 minutes ago, Ralph Whitaker said:

Looking for pictures of fitment on other cars last night and realised that the access hole was deleted on TR3a`s

Was it?   I've got one on mine - how else could you get to the grease point ?    The bung is a bit loose but doesn't pop out and the carpet keeps it on place. I don't know if it is an original,  but the rubber is pretty stiff now. 

Edited by RobH
17 minutes ago, RobH said:

Was it?   I've got one on mine - how else could you get to the grease point ?

Read it last night in Bill P`s book. Unless he meant it was hidden, like the gearlever grommet flange on later cars. Did think it was a retrograde step, unless it coincided with the use of "sealed for life" u/j `s. (which usually means a shorter life).

Ralph

Hi

I sourced mine from the Roadster Factory in the States, great rubber quality and more importantly they fitted my TR3 perfectly.

On TR2 & 3 they are fitted with the carpet under the wide lip, (The carpet has a hole in it obviously), on the TR3A & B the transmission carpet became a one piece item and covered the rubber bungs for both the Propshaft and Gearbox Dipstick.

Kind regards

Andrew

Mine is a 59 TR3A, it has the prop hole and seal (which has a little bit of the same issue but not as bad). It doesn't have the hole for the gearbox level check, but the gearbox doesn't have that level check on it either being a later car. Must admit though that the uj at the front is self sealed on mine, just the one at the back that needs greasing. 

28 minutes ago, NCS_TR3A said:

Must admit though that the uj at the front is self sealed on mine, just the one at the back that needs greasing. 

But you also have to lubricate the propshaft sliding joint so you still need the access hole.

2 hours ago, RobH said:

But you also have to lubricate the propshaft sliding joint so you still need the access hole.

I thought that too.

But I have seen some pictures with the sliding joint at the back, next to the diff.

Even if it was at the front, would you be able to reach it from the g.box cover hole?

Charlie

As I have 2 new jack hole grommets coming to replace the sloppy items I have in at the minute, I am wondering if it might be a good idea to utilise the redundant items by cutting a 2.75 dia hole adjacent to the gearbox filler plug to make level checks a bit easier.

Ralph

10 minutes ago, Charlie D said:

Even if it was at the front, would you be able to reach it from the g.box cover hole?

Yes with a flexible grease-gun hose - and that's where mine is anyway. 

8 minutes ago, Ralph Whitaker said:

utilise the redundant items by cutting a 2.75 dia hole adjacent to the gearbox filler plug to make level checks a bit easier.

I did that and it does certainly make access simple. 

1 hour ago, Charlie D said:

I thought that too.

But I have seen some pictures with the sliding joint at the back, next to the diff.

Charlie

Mine (sliding joint) is at the front and I think that's were its meant to be but assume you could turn the prop around so it's at the back. Not sure if that would give an issue. I have greased from underneath which is difficult and have gone through the access hole as well. To be honest either way is difficult. 

On 11/21/2020 at 8:57 AM, Ralph Whitaker said:

Landrover  transmission tunnel grommet, part no 334189 is exactly the right size for the jack hole in the floor, as once again the part supplied by Moss is a very sloppy fit and I imagine easily lost being about 1/4 inch too small for the 3 inch hole so have ordered a pair of these instead. Many thanks Dick for the lead.

Ralph

Received my Landrover  bungs today and have fitted them. They fit much better than the "proper" part, and are unlikely to pop out on to the road if someone puts their heel on  it.  They are a bit more dome shaped but where they are directly in front of the seat \i don`t think that will matter, and could be compensated for by cutting a circle out of the underfelt (if you have any).

Now need a 70mm hole cutter to use my redundant jack hole bungs as access bungs for gearbox oil level.

Ralph.

20201125_161958.jpg

• 1 year later...
On 11/25/2020 at 4:24 PM, Ralph Whitaker said:

Now need a 70mm hole cutter to use my redundant jack hole bungs as access bungs for gearbox oil level.

Ralph.

I like that idea .. thanks Ralph

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/20/2020 at 10:18 PM, Ralph Whitaker said:

Yes Roger, that's the one, and that`s where I got it from.  The hole is 2.25 inches diameter, and the plug is 2.25 also, so it fits front to back, but because the  hole has been cut through a curved surface it`s real measurement side to side is nearer 2.5 inches, if that makes sense. Hole is round when viewed from the top. The lip on the plug is only about an eigth of an inch deep, so when you push the plug to one side the opposite side pops out of the hole.

Ralph

Hole resised.jpg

Plug resised.jpg

plug side view.jpg

I have exactly the same issue  i tried  soaking it  in boiling  water  to soften it then used gaffer tape to hold in place,  which improved the fit  .. my tunnel cover is an excellent condition and hasn't been altered.as far as i know 

Peter Wigglesworth produced a batch of beautifully made proper metal floor bungs not too long ago - he might have some left (worth a PM).

The prop shaft's sliding joint should definitely be at the front, nearest the gearbox.

On my TR4, I was unable to see the nipple on the sliding joint, so drilled a strategically-placed hole behind the large rubber bung.  I made the hole large enough to get the end of the grease gun through and onto the nipple.  I sealed it with an old rubber bung from my collection of oddments (never throw anything away, you never know when it might prove useful).

Ian Cornish