Weber Recipe?

Hi Peter,

So the last i to dot is the float level - if too low the main system won't come in at low enough rpm. 

Yes, the 4 degrees ATDC was only meant to be operative at idle on emissions engines. Once the throttle starts to open a valve operated by the linkage dumps the retard capsule and static time takes over, then centrifugal and vacuum advance raise it further. With the original distributor ~ 50 degrees advance is possible with 10 degrees static time.

Tom

At last!!!

I have been trying to get sense out of these Carbs for weeks now and now I've set the timing correctly, it all falls into place :)

Thanks Guys for all your help and suggestions, I am now really pleased with the results.

Next stop rolling road for a measure up, will keep you posted.

5 hours ago, unclepete said:

At last!!!

I have been trying to get sense out of these Carbs for weeks now and now I've set the timing correctly, it all falls into place :)

Thanks Guys for all your help and suggestions, I am now really pleased with the results.

Next stop rolling road for a measure up, will keep you posted.

Clad you got it sorted,however the advance curve on the dizzy will be out for a CP cam but the hp difference will not be that bad.If you want to get the best out of it suggest you get this sorted before RR if you have a good operator that knows what they are doing.  

Which cam did you finally use? 

You originally stated it was a standard CC engine with 2500S head (307621 cam) then it is CP and you gave the timing of 307689 cam.  The CP cam is a wise choice compared to the 307621  although the half way house would have been the 311399 CR and CF cam.

PDF of 6 cyl cams courtesy of Chris Witor

https://www.chriswitor.com/cw_technical/camshaft_applications.pdf

Are you sticking with the vacuum advance and retard setup for driving economy purposes ( advance) and tickover emission (retard)  There is a replacing adjuster item for the advance vacuum capsule (517426)  item 20 here (£71.00!!!)  That would make the double capsule distributor look more like a CP item I suspect.  https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr5-6/electrical-system/ignition-system/ignition-system-distributors-tr5-6-1967-76.html

Cheers

Peter W

4 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

You originally stated it was a standard CC engine with 2500S head

My Fault - I double checked the cast and stamped serial numbers and it is a CR Head on a CC Bottom End.

4 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Are you sticking with the vacuum advance and retard setup for driving economy purposes

No - There are no vacuum take offs on the Webers so I have ditched the Vacuum Advance.

Peter,

You don't need vacuum advance for the CP setup; after all TRIUMPH didn't employ one on those engines. If you have a 13 degree distributor ( emissions standard fitment ) I would set it to 4-6 degrees BTDC static; that's how I ran mine for tens of thousands of miles before switching to a 7 degree distributor set to 10-12 BTDC. Performance pretty much the same; no noticeable difference. 

FWIW, I use NGK BP7ES plugs gapped to 0.030".

Tom