CV jointed half shafts

Just for something to do I’m thinking of fitting new CV jointed shafts/hubs etc.

What is the consensus regarding the CCD ones or the Limora from Germany? There seems to be a not insignificant price difference.... and CCD require 2% if paying by card!

dave

10 hours ago, DaveN said:

Just for something to do I’m thinking of fitting new CV jointed shafts/hubs etc.

What is the consensus regarding the CCD ones or the Limora from Germany? There seems to be a not insignificant price difference.... and CCD require 2% if paying by card!

dave

Hi Dave!

I have the Limora type and have done over 10K on them. They seem to be based on VW parts? The only downside to me is the fitting of the splines to the hub! The hub does not just slide on, it has to be fitted and by that you have to use engineers blue and swiss files. It took me about an hour per side. But as I had served a tool makers apprenticeship it was a straight forward exercise for me. Lamora use a big beefy bearing in the hub and are rated at over 200 BHP, so time will tell as to how long they last, they are well engineered!

Bruce.

Cheers folks. Thinks I’ll go probably go with Limora, they look well made and at £200 cheaper including shipping!! .... and no extra for paying by card!

I have had 2 separate failures of the CCD versions. Fantastic customer service but the failures concern me as both cars had under 1000 miles since fitment. One was so bad that you could wobble the wheel. As I never thought for a moment they would failure I ended rebuilding the diff to cure the clonk. Never assume upgrades are better. I think I would go for uprated shafts and hubs in future.

7 hours ago, colin3511 said:

I have had 2 separate failures of the CCD versions. Fantastic customer service but the failures concern me as both cars had under 1000 miles since fitment. One was so bad that you could wobble the wheel. As I never thought for a moment they would failure I ended rebuilding the diff to cure the clonk. Never assume upgrades are better. I think I would go for uprated shafts and hubs in future.

I rejected two sets of the CCD shafts, excellent customer service but still, not what I needed.

Guess its each to their own and whatever rocks your boat but for me personally I bought 2 new bulletproof rear hubs from CCD (not a cheap exercise) and will fit a pair of NOS driveshafts. I just don't fancy the CV jointed affairs, just not for me.

Alan G

28 minutes ago, cp25616 said:

Guess its each to their own and whatever rocks your boat but for me personally I bought 2 new bulletproof rear hubs from CCD (not a cheap exercise) and will fit a pair of NOS driveshafts. I just don't fancy the CV jointed affairs, just not for me.

Alan G

In the end I went for CCD Hubs & uprated driveshafts, a bit more expensive than their CV shafts but I’m happy with them.

11 hours ago, iani said:

I rejected two sets of the CCD shafts, excellent customer service but still, not what I needed.

We have not had any other comments other than mine about Limora CV's am I the only one? Regarding the CCD drive shafts, I was not convinced that the hub bearing was big enough after seeing the Limora ones?

Bruce.

Git the CV hubs from CCD. Done 1000 miles so far. Definitely feel a change in the suppleness of the rear suspension compared to the original sliding splines. My wife says the car is more comfortable. Only issue is they are quieter and I cam hear the dif whining now :-)

I have locally produced CV shafts and hubs, Nissan based I believe. They are very good so far, maybe 3,000 miles.

My old hubs had play in them and I wasn't going to trust them after a rebuild. The CV option is quiet, doesn't bind accelerating on roundabouts and needs no maintenance.

Too many failures with the CCD ones. They have a fantastic turnaround on repairing or replacing them but the reasons given didn’t fill me with confidence. Not exactly an arduous duty cycle on a standard TR but still issues.

TRGB sell the CCD ones FYI.

Just my view.

Well.... committed now ordered the Limora shafts last nite at gone 11 and they shipped first thing this morning..... I shall go rip the old ones out in anticipation. 

dave

I actually have the Richard Good parts (ex USA) on my TR6, and have been installed since 2009- CV joints with uprated hubs.

Covered circa 70-80k miles now, of hard driving, and no issues whatsoever. Bearings still nice and quite, and no 'lift' in the bearings. These hubs have also been burdened with 15X7" wheels and 205-60-15 tyres, too.

I have also used the Quaife (Ford Cosworth derived) rear hubs with uprated driveshafts, and no issues here either.

Both excellent and over engineered.

Cheers.

Last year I considered CV type shafts to replace my original factory shafts, (albeit with UJ's changed from time to time over the last 48 years).

But in the end fitted TR Shops Heavy Duty UJ shafts. And then test drove it for several miles at 100mph in total confidence. All good, nice to loose the spline 'clonk' too.