Rear brake cylinder

The parts book shows a spring on the inside of the rear wheel cylinder, are these  still included in the new cylinders purchased.

What will happen if there isn't a spring inside, will it affect the braking, presumably its there for a reason?

John

Thanks Roger,  yes that's the one, I have now taken the piston out no spring inside. Does this spring keep the cylinder pushed back in its slot perhaps?

The back plate will have to be welded, indents in the plate,  the pin in the brake arm is a bit worn but have managed to knock it out and turn it thru 180 degrees.

John

Edited by John L

Thanks Michael,  perhaps dissolved in the fluid, this must be a cost cutting exercise, the original TR5 parts book lists the spring as 510946, as well as the parts books and manuals all show it, I have asked Moss to confirm there should be one.

John

Ive not come across brake cylinders with springs in for years, it can make it difficult to bleed as the piston doesnt retract fully

Stuart.

Thanks Stuart,  I had sent a message earlier to Past Parts enquiring if they had any info, and their reply is,  'the original Girling exploded drawing does not show a spring'

Hope this may be helpful.

John

On 11/18/2020 at 3:51 PM, John L said:

The parts book shows a spring on the inside of the rear wheel cylinder, are these  still included in the new cylinders purchased.

What will happen if there isn't a spring inside, will it affect the braking, presumably its there for a reason?

John

I had a look at my original 1973 wheel cylinders which I have kept, they had no springs in them?

Bruce.