Rear trailing arm l/h

Just doing a bit of tidying up, have just looked at the l/h trailing arm, and it has a date of 1974, so obviously a replacement as car was built in 1968, part number cast in is 308225, is this the bare casting number and not the the assembly number that appears in the parts book, does anybody know the finished item should be, just interested to see if its had the right item replaced at some time ago.

John 

John, there was a thread on the forum last year about the differences between early and late trailing arms, whilst the later arms have been beefed up I don't believe there was any change in geometry. As for the number you quote that is a casting number and different to the number in the parts book.

Derek

Thanks Derek,  I remembered that post but didn't look far enough back, so my left one is like the picture above, the other which must be original, although I haven't checked the date code, is without larger rib for the shock mount, so that's fine explains a lot.

John

On 11/18/2020 at 4:59 PM, saffrontr said:

John, there was a thread on the forum last year about the differences between early and late trailing arms, whilst the later arms have been beefed up I don't believe there was any change in geometry. As for the number you quote that is a casting number and different to the number in the parts book.

Derek

Derek

I think you will find the geometry setting was different ,try Buckley triumph site. 

Nick is that why the brackets changed from 1 and 3 notch to 2 and 3 notch? 

The brackets and rear springs changed at CC61571 / CP52868 in order to reduce the tail squat on acceleration however the trailing arms had the same part number throughout production so no indication when they changed. I guess I should look at my own trailing arms to see if I have the later ones, my TR6 being CP54529. A job for tomorrow hopefully.

Derek

image.png

Edited by saffrontr

Well forget tomorrow as I've just had a look at my TR6, CP54529-O, and it has the early trailing arms and the later notched brackets.  In the interest of closing this out is there anyone with a later TR6 than mine who can have a look and see what trailing arms they have?

cheers

Derek   

Trailing Arms early and late.jpg

Trailing Arms Late And Early.jpg

I can see the obvious change on the later arm where the fillet has been straightened to avoid cracking in that area.  But to my dodgy eyes the orientation looks the same.?

There are no obvious changes on the upper side that I can see and the fillet on the underside is actually straight it has just been cut away to a slightly V shape. It is just the angle of the photo that makes it look crooked.

Derek

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/19/2020 at 7:23 PM, saffrontr said:

The brackets and rear springs changed at CC61571 / CP52868 in order to reduce the tail squat on acceleration however the trailing arms had the same part number throughout production so no indication when they changed. I guess I should look at my own trailing arms to see if I have the later ones, my TR6 being CP54529. A job for tomorrow hopefully.

Derek

image.png

Done to change the camber wasn’t it. Along with new springs?

Roy - I somehow doubt the bigger hole is genuine - its probably worn like that from having a dodgy rubber bush which has allowed the the threaded shaft to move about- you can get it welded up and re-drilled

Cheers  Rich