Evening out there.... have just acquired 1970 TR6 ,  can I ask for recommendations for TR6 support .... car runs well but Im seeking appraisal from knowledgeable mechanic and potentially some restoration work . ( location Glasgow / west of Scotland ) Overall condition is good but panel gaps particularly around doors ( gather this is common ) could do with some attention  .

thanks for any advice 

08343D8F-FE33-4B38-A4D1-BED74D31A826.jpeg

F3FE39C0-E857-463B-97F3-02E583867F63.jpeg

Hi and welcome to our forum,

A name would be nice?

Suggest you get in touch with the very active local group lead by Steve Craig, you will not get better advice, check our website for contact info.

You want a serious look at your chassis in the breastplate region, that type of door gap is very typical of chassis issues, when the car is bending.

John.

Hi and welcome John beat me to it!

As he says the gaps maybe a symptom of a rotten chassis looking at the wings I suspect you're unfortunately going to find a lot of hidden rot once you start digging deeper. That said with time anything can be fixed.

Keep us posted.

Andy

21 minutes ago, PodOne said:

Hi and welcome John beat me to it!

As he says the gaps maybe a symptom of a rotten chassis looking at the wings I suspect you're unfortunately going to find a lot of hidden rot once you start digging deeper. That said with time anything can be fixed.

Keep us posted.

Andy

Talk to Ian Walker (Glasgow4a on here) he is good at panelwork and should be fairly local to you.

Stuart.

Hi Nigel,

Firstly enjoy driving the car whilst it is on the road.

As mentioned there may be an underlying issue that is causing the panel gap - at least it is uniform (on both sides)

get in contact with Ian Walker as Stuart says - he is a good chap.

If the chassis is in good condition (fingers crossed) then the gaps can be sorted at the same time as the front edge of the rear wings are cleaned up.

This may require a little bit of cutting and welding.

Consider joining the TR register as there is a great deal of help at local groups.

Roger

13 hours ago, TR relived said:

Evening out there.... have just acquired 1970 TR6 ,  can I ask for recommendations for TR6 support .... car runs well but Im seeking appraisal from knowledgeable mechanic and potentially some restoration work . ( location Glasgow / west of Scotland ) Overall condition is good but panel gaps particularly around doors ( gather this is common ) could do with some attention  .

thanks for any advice 

08343D8F-FE33-4B38-A4D1-BED74D31A826.jpeg

F3FE39C0-E857-463B-97F3-02E583867F63.jpeg

You will not do better than utilise the bottomless well of knowledge here.

Ask a question, any question and answers will be quick and comprehensive.

I found that, with time, I started offering advice to newcomers . . . Who would have thought . . . . . . . .

13 hours ago, RogerH said:

Hi Nigel,

Firstly enjoy driving the car whilst it is on the road.

As mentioned there may be an underlying issue that is causing the panel gap - at least it is uniform (on both sides)

get in contact with Ian Walker as Stuart says - he is a good chap.

If the chassis is in good condition (fingers crossed) then the gaps can be sorted at the same time as the front edge of the rear wings are cleaned up.

This may require a little bit of cutting and welding.

Consider joining the TR register as there is a great deal of help at local groups.

Roger

Hi Roger , nice to hear from you . This is me reliving the TR6 , 48 years on ...... car drives well and seems to have matured nicely ( bit like me ) anyway I spoke to Ian and as you say a really good guy and extremely knowledgeable. Plan to meet up with him soon . Will keep you posted .