MIG WELDING EQUIPMENT ? WHICH WHAT WHERE

Ok so I am now starting my hunt for a Mig Welder New or Second Hand - No clue of type or model what to buy !    Can Anybody recommend one that they have used to do a MAJOR  rebuild / restore ==  I would be very grateful -- Andrew

Hi Andrew,

There are many out there. The cheap ones can be made to work but have issues.

The units that have a gas bottle(large or small) work better than 'gasless' units (my opinion)

R-Tech are good and will include 1/2 day training with a purchase.

Also get one of the automatic dimming face masks.

https://www.r-techwelding.co.uk/

Roger

Edited by RogerH

RTECH are fantastic, really good service, after sales support, return to base etc. Always have 10% offers etc - check their social media. 

Check their reviews on mig welding forum uk

If I was replacing my old mig I'd go for https://www.r-techwelding.co.uk/mig-welder-r-tech-i-mig180/

My half penny's worth - I have a Cebora Boxer 155 - (also badged as a "Snap on")  Its an excellent mid range MIG with decent supply of consumables - still come up on Ebay etc - Had a Cebora pocket MIG 130 which always seemed to be well thought of, which I didn't think much of and always struggled with - MIG welding is practise, practise and more practise (plus the correct gas, clean metal , not welding outside in a force 8 gale, etc etc ) good luck and well done for wanting to get stuck in - cheers

Matt

It depends on what you want to do with it I guess. What you need for welding thicker material may not be suitable for thinner panels. For visible panels TIG maybe a better route for less distortion.

A basic 'hobby mig' will do a job but will lack finesse in terms of quality of weld (certainly in my less than skilled hands anyway). Another issue is supply of spares & consumables.

Just to chuck another one into the mix I went with an Autostar Mig 160. I considered the R Tech machine but went with the Autostar - as it was slightly cheaper with a 3 year warranty at the time. Its basically a Jasic level entry machine & a good all rounder. Invertor controlled (IGBT) & was supplied with a Euro Binzell torch, takes 5kg spools 0.6, 0.8 & 1.0. It can MMA also. Good service & advice from Noz-Alls in Cheltenham.

For the price its the closest to the Professional Kempi machine we used at work. Great control & quality welds possible. Will do most things (& more) a TR6 can throw at it. 

Alan

I went for a Clarke 135 Turbo MIG with big bottle of Argon shield from hobby weld and learn't with this, with practice it gives me good results for anything you are going to need to weld on a TR6 from 1mm to 4mm. This was proved to me when a mate who makes replacement chassis for TVR's welded on some new suspension brackets and reinforcement bits in the usual places the results were fantastic better than the factory welds. His comment was he would be happy to use it for work as a back up and for the price there was little to fault especially for folk in a DIY position.

Andy

12 hours ago, RogerH said:

Hi Andrew,

Roger

I’ve had good success with a Clarke 135TE. Can’t comment on others as haven’t used anything else. Good price and has lasted for 10 years with no problems. 

What made the difference to my welding was buying a good auto dimming helmet. Initially bought a Draper auto thing from Machine Mart with the welder. Rubbish. 
then bought an R-tech Phantom XL (£95) and difference was huge. Improved my welding no end.

David B

These guys use R-tech kit. 

https://tgsexhausts.co.uk/longlife-exhausts/

and they really know their stuff   Commissioned them to do some unique work in my last job

it’s very good kit with good Uk company back up. 

On 11/17/2020 at 9:08 AM, RogerH said:

Hi Andrew,

There are many out there. The cheap ones can be made to work but have issues.

The units that have a gas bottle(large or small) work better than 'gasless' units (my opinion)

R-Tech are good and will include 1/2 day training with a purchase.

Roger

Definite +1 and a 'thumbs up' for R-Tech.

They also treat you 'properly' when you have any questions or want any accessories!!

Satisfied customer!

Definately get a gas mig. I have tried both and the gasless that use a flux core wire are not as good. Don't go for a high ampage one unless you are welding chassis material as often you cannot set them low enough for thin body panel metal. I am presently using a Sealey supermig 185, its a few years old now but a great welder. The only issues is that even on the lowest setting it will burn holes in new metal if you are not careful I would look at something in the 30-140 amp range.

Look at the Hobbyweld  gas bottles. Reasonable size bottle with no rental charges available everywhere.

I use Clarke 135TE which is reasonable for most tasks. I agree with David above that a good helmet makes a great deal of difference to seeing what you are doing and improving your results.

Before you buy just check the current draw of the welder and what supply you have to the socket you will be using.

No connection just a user.

Alan

Edited by barkerwilliams

Hi Andrew,

I have a Machine Mart 151TE Mig Welder.

Had it a long time, probobly a decade, and it has done a monumental amount of work, allsorts, and would cope with anything on a car.

As others have said, don't go for gasless, use a large Argon Mix Bottle, hobbyweld or similar, there are lots of different suppliers now, DO NOT USE CO2,

I never had any satisfactory results, swithed to 5% Argon Mix, it was chalk and cheese,

and buy a decent auto helmet. Very recently bought a replacement from Aldi for £23.00 and am very impressed with it.

John.

48 minutes ago, John Morrison said:

As others have said, don't go for gasless, use a large Argon Mix Bottle, hobbyweld or similar, there are lots of different suppliers now, DO NOT USE CO2,

I never had any satisfactory results, swithed to 5% Argon Mix, it was chalk and cheese,

and buy a decent auto helmet. Very recently bought a replacement from Aldi for £23.00 and am very impressed with it.

John.

Very useful thread. 
I bought the Aldi auto dark welding hood glad you rate it John. I struggled with a permanent black visor welding for the first time in the front suspension turret. A proper black hole. 
I need some gas so ready if needed I’ll be getting an argon mix by the look for things.