I've just been reading on the MG forum of changing one, R/H reversing light to a rear fog light, it would have to have an illuminated switch, and only live when on dipped beam fronts.

Could have a 21w red LED bulb and keep the clear glass.

Has anybody done this on a TR5??  Is it feasable, I think its far enough away from the stop light. Perhaps not possible on the TR6, because of the distance needed.

John

John - I am in the process of doing this on my 4, having fitted TR5 reversing lights, just waiting for the led bulbs to arrive. I found that there is a spare terminal on the light switch which is live when headlights are on which gives me the necessary feed for the switch.

Bob -  you need to change the bulb holder from a single pin to a twin pin to allow this to work. I got a kit from https://www.bettercarlighting.co.uk/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=715 for my TR6 which gives you new bulb holders, led bulbs and the necessary additions to the wiring loom. Works very well in both modes.

Dave

Keep an eye on the official regulations. I was considering something similar on my TR7 by replacing one of the reversing lights with a High Intensity Red LED fog light  and found that there has to be a minimum distance between the fog light and the brake light.

The twin filament type bulb holder that will do the reverse lights of TR250/5 is pt no  27H5545

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CLASSIC-MINI-BULB-HOLDER-27H5545/361918684268?epid=598124726&hash=item544408dc6c%3Ag%3A2x8AAOSwuxFYuTjr&LH_BIN=1

Also used on Land Rover/ TR3/ Sprite 1 / Morris Minor

Cheers

Peter W

12 hours ago, HowardB said:

Keep an eye on the official regulations. I was considering something similar on my TR7 by replacing one of the reversing lights with a High Intensity Red LED fog light  and found that there has to be a minimum distance between the fog light and the brake light.

Hello John

I would echo what Howard has put. I had a long chat with Kevin Nicks, the designer and driver of the fastest shed on wheels about a year ago. He wanted to fit rear fog lights to the back of his 'shed'. He told me there are regulations apparently concerning these. I have 2 designs of rear fog that can be fitted under/above rear bumper. One is simply marked 'halogen'. The other EEC approved is marked F [E11] 007 on the lens. The F designates an approved fog lens. This one has a 12v/21W bulb.I don't know whether the halogen ones are road legal or not. I haven't fitted either as yet.

I found these regs that detail positions of rear fogs. They are dated 1989 but don't know if there are more up to date regs.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989/1796/schedule/11/made

There are also similar regs for acceptable positions for front fog/driving lights. There are also regs as to when they can operate. For example front spot/driving lights should only be able to be switched on when the main beam headlights are on. Rear fog lights must not be wired into the brake light circuit. Best read exactly what they say before fitting or modifying the lights.

Keith