Enamel steel wheels

Jonathan - do you really mean "enamelled^ or are you using that as a generic term  - RimRenov8  ( https://rim-renov8.co.uk/ ) are very local in Colchester and will blast clean your wheels and then powder coat to whatever colour you want.

Alternatively Renzland at Copford ( https://www.renzland.co.uk/ ) used to do blasting and stove enamel wheels and chassis but looking at their website, it appears they have gone upmarket so I don't know if they still offer that service.

Or if you don't mind going further afield, you could try Tudor Wheels in the New Forest  ( http://www.tudorwheels.co.uk/ )

Good luck and let us know in due course how you got on

cheers Rich

Edited by rcreweread
correct mis spelling
15 hours ago, joinathanbrooks said:

Whoops missed one reply. Yup £60 a wheel that covers removal of old tyre, blasting, coating, refit tyre and balancing.

Yes but plus VAT, although the wheels weren't on the car at the time.

On 11/16/2020 at 8:31 AM, Mike C said:

I'd be worried about heat distortion and chipping with traditional vitreous enamel.

Stove enamelling is cured at 120C. If that causes concern, I suggest scrapping the item to be painted! Vitreous enamel can involve eye-watering temps, but is not the same. FWIW, I had some wire wheels stove enamelled in ~1985 and the finish out-lasted the wheels :)

JC

7 hours ago, JohnC said:

Stove enamelling is cured at 120C. If that causes concern, I suggest scrapping the item to be painted! Vitreous enamel can involve eye-watering temps, but is not the same. FWIW, I had some wire wheels stove enamelled in ~1985 and the finish out-lasted the wheels :)

JC

My misunderstanding due to different terminology. I was under the impression stove enamelling was the vitreous enamel that was used to finish old stoves. I restored an antique stove a few years ago and the white vitreous enamel used to restore the original finish was applied at eye watering temperatures in an electric oven. The heat actually stress relieved and warped some components.

On 11/19/2020 at 7:56 AM, Mike C said:

My misunderstanding due to different terminology. I was under the impression stove enamelling was the vitreous enamel that was used to finish old stoves. I restored an antique stove a few years ago and the white vitreous enamel used to restore the original finish was applied at eye watering temperatures in an electric oven. The heat actually stress relieved and warped some components.

Fair point. Definitely worth clarifying if the supplier is planning to vitreous enamel or stove enamel. I dread to think what a wheel would look like after being stress-relieved!