Miffed about the missing TR5

Hi guys, hope everyone is keeping well. Is it just me me me (it so often is) or does it annoy anyone else that our beloved TR5 is not represented on the Register 50 year plaque!. Having received my copy magazine a couple of days ago with it’s TR shop insert, it still bugs me looking at the advert for the plaque. I can’t bring myself to buy one it miffs  me so much. Anyone else bothered or as I say is it just me me me.

Paul

31 minutes ago, RogerH said:

They do the same thing with the 4A all the time (which of course is the better of the three Michelotti cars)

Roger

?????

Hi Roger, I know we have 3a,4a,Tr8 But just felt that as the 5 was pivotal in developing the straight 6 engine and being the first production road car with petrol injection, not to mention this spawned the 96,000 TR6 which we all enjoy.It should have been represented. Not that I am biased or anything;)

Paul

Hi Paul,

they used a TR4A to trial the 6 pot PI engine - I think it had a commission plate beginning with an X - an ex London Group Leader has one.

Because of the evolution they are all so intertwined. 

Perhaps somebody could come up with a composite picture of all the cars melded together.

Roger 

And another thing!!!     Being a little bit of a picture straightener myself, it doesn’t even scan! I mean 2 3 4...6 7. What kind of lunatic designed that. I tell ya first against the wall come the revolution.:ph34r:

Paul

Well, the plate was never intended to be a historical document of every TR model ever made, but rather to roughly represent each design era of the main production models in an aesthetically pleasing way to look nice on people's cars. 

Originally the 3A wasn't there either, but it didn't look right with 4 cars and we were going for the v-shape behind TS2 look. So, we added in a 3A which, with that wide mouth grille, is the most graphically distinguishable as 'different' when you look at a glance. Then TS2 is white and that looked wrong too, so we went with eggshell from MVC575 as the "first" TR. 

The 4, 4A and 5 are all too similar on the front elevation and as you add more cars, the cars themselves get smaller and in the end you have a crowded looking design that nobody likes. TR5s are the rarest of the main production models of course as well. 

In your argument for a TR5 though, you have also committed a sin against the revolutionaries because you've failed to argue for TR250, TR6 US spec, TR4, TR4A, TR3B, TRS, TRX, Zoom and Zest, TR3 Francorchamps, GTR4 Dove, Peerless, Warwick, TR7 Coupé, TR8, Grinnall, Round style Grinnall, Swallow Doretti, Italia !!! Plus the ones I've left out.  Imagine how small they would be if we fitted that lot on, but they all have a right to be represented and so I fear you will now be lining up on the wall next to me for the firing squad.

However, in order to mitigate some of the trauma of the certain and brutal death that is now imminent as you line up alongside me in preparation for the firing squad Mr @Harbottle, please find attached a gift. This you can use by buying the normal rally plate , printing this and then applying sticky back plastic, (which to non Blue Peter viewers is called Sellotape) in order to amend the design yourself. Hey presto - the envy of your mates. Perhaps if a responsible adult can be found, they could help us by using some impact adhesive, I couldn't suggest it myself because you need a grown up to come with you to buy aerosols. Thank goodness nobody else can see this thread otherwise they'd all want one! 

See you at the firing squad wall, maybe print another plate to use as a blindfold? ;)

TRR50-Rally-Plate-GREENTR5.png

WOW Wayne, I have really rattled your cage!  You seem to have missed the underlining humour throughout this post.

Neville Chamberlyn, Picture straightener, Tooting Popular Front, Toys out of pram , Knickers in a twist, Numbers not scanning.

Lighten up old chap, lighten up. Or you might not be around to stand against the wall come the revolution. “Power to the people” as Wolfe Smith would say.

Paul (AKA Mr Harbottle:))

Haha. Having read Wayne's response and seeing the top of the plaque, when I scrolled down I expected to see a row of TR5s only, that would have been something special just for you Paul.

I remember when these new graphic images were first displayed at the NEC, there were a lot of our members visiting the show who spent a fair amount of time, discussing the detail that was missing or wrong, the wrong colours having being chosen (as they were not theirs) and why their specific sub-marque was not included. I had never seen so many anoraks gathered in one place before, apart from on bridges overlooking a steam railway. Fortunately, most visitors, who were not intimate with the anti-roll bar mounting on the TR4A, were very impressed with the overall stand image and the clean cut graphics as it displayed a modern club moving forward with the times.

You can't please everybody all of the time. Power to the people!

Mick

if you all look carefully , and in the absence of badges the grill with no starting handle hole denotes a 5 ??? but then there is no hole in the valance for the air flow , but then it looks like a tr4 mirror , but then a 4 does not have the side markers , can we just say its a TRrrrrr

graham

3 hours ago, Mick Forey said:

Haha. Having read Wayne's response and seeing the top of the plaque, when I scrolled down I expected to see a row of TR5s only, that would have been something special just for you Paul.

Damn! I missed a trick there, that would have been much funnier! :lol:

3 hours ago, Harbottle said:

WOW Wayne, I have really rattled your cage!  You seem to have missed the underlining humour throughout this post.

Neville Chamberlyn, Picture straightener, Tooting Popular Front, Toys out of pram , Knickers in a twist, Numbers not scanning.

Lighten up old chap, lighten up. Or you might not be around to stand against the wall come the revolution. “Power to the people” as Wolfe Smith would say.

Paul (AKA Mr Harbottle:))

Forget all the 70s TV references, their lost on me - born 1984 - I want to see a photo of your TR5 adorned with the new 'print at home' rally plate fixed on with Sellotape :D:D:lol: or even better you wearing the branded blindfold in readiness?? :P

19 hours ago, Wayne Scott said:

Damn! I missed a trick there, that would have been much funnier! :lol:

Forget all the 70s TV references, their lost on me - born 1984 - I want to see a photo of your TR5 adorned with the new 'print at home' rally plate fixed on with Sellotape :D:D:lol: or even better you wearing the branded blindfold in readiness?? :P

Wayne,

The Tooting Popular front, From the programme 'Citizen Smith', worth a catch up somewhere,

written by John Sullivan, who went on to write 'Only Fools and Horses' and Starred Robert Lindsey.

Very Funny Stuff.

Wayne your education is incomplete!

John.

On a trivia point, did you know that Smithy had four names during the series. Wolfe (his chosen name) Foxy (called by his prospective mother in law) Yeti (called by his prospective father in law) and Trotsky (called by the series gangster character, who’s name escapes me At present). One for you quiz masters to use possibly.

Paul