I have some metal garden furniture that I have had blast cleaned. The very efficient company, Blastreat in Sussex,, suggested that I should only use oil based paints. I have been searching for an aerosol in white but can not seem to find one. Two suppliers on ebay have confirmed that theirs is solvent based. It looks as if I shall end up with Hammerite unless anyone has a better recommendation. 

Thanks Richard & B

The hammertoe is good and dad loved it for external metal. 
but my dad said the Aldi aerosol metal paint was good. 

he had a very steep garden with stepped path with a steel box section handrail that survives very well  in a salty south Devon coastal atmosphere.

Can you specify what sort of metal your furniture is made from. If aluminium it would need a special primer. If steel then Lidl 'metal paint with rust protection ' is good stuff.(aerosol)

Bob

Hi Richard, ref Bob, if this steel then Hammerite is ‘ made for the job.... Fully agree with the others though, Lidl product appears just as good but at a substantially lower cost.

Only personal experience but, I much prefer both in brush rather than spray where possible; better coverage and most importantly no clogged nozzles half way through !

It will look a ‘million dollars’, with minimal preparation required....:)

....... That just reminded me of ‘a trick’ we used to use on the biggest and best steel motor yachts around the Med and Caribbean (read harsh salt water environments) we obviously used the shiniest white paint available- ‘Stapani’ from Italy and or ‘Epivans’ from Holland - but, the trick was to add15-20% ‘‘Rustol’ .

Edited by Tony_C
Paragraph added on end

This stuff gets good ratings from users and I know of one person who uses it and says it is good just like the aldi/lidl stuff.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-quick-dry-smooth-metal-paint-black-750ml/23091

My tin of the Lidl stuff is almost empty so am on the look out for a replacement.  Used the Lidl stuff on a house chimney smoke/sweeping box access door.  It was rotten with rust and looked dreadful in the brickwork on the outside of the house.   So I just wire brushed it clean, mixed up the paint with cellulose thinners and sprayed a couple of coats of the Lidl black on bare metal - here we are 5 years later and the metal door is still pristine, unlike the surround that I did not paint - that is the next job.

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT