Commission Numbers and overdrive

My 1970 CP PI TR6 Commission number on the plate is CP51049.

The car has overdrive fitted but it is a J type not the correct A type. I recall the previous owner to me saying he fitted the J type box to replace an A type box and had the gearbox mount modified to suit, but I am not positive.

The relay, switches etc all look to be originally fitted. They are in the same condition and state of fading etc as the rest of the car (it is an unrestored example). The wiring looks to be correct as well i.e. an od harness.

If an early owner fitted the gearbox with od and had it done as per the original they must have gone to a lot of trouble to get it right.

Is it possible that some cars with a factory od did not have the O stamped on the plate?

Is there some way I can categorically tell whether a TR6 was fitted with od at build?

Edited by John McCormack

John, 

The British Motor Museum have the build and sales records from the factory for all TR6 and can provide you with a Heritage Certificate which will provide all of the original details that your TR6 was built with including whether it was fitted with overdrive or not. This is nice to have but quite quite expensive at £43 plus p & p or you can do a web research request for £6 whereby they will supply you with one piece of information from the build records such as whether or not your TR6 was fitted with overdrive.

https://www.britishmotormuseum.co.uk/archive/information-services

cheers 

Derek

1 hour ago, saffrontr said:

John, 

The British Motor Museum have the build and sales records from the factory for all TR6 and can provide you with a Heritage Certificate which will provide all of the original details that your TR6 was built with including whether it was fitted with overdrive or not. This is nice to have but quite quite expensive at £43 plus p & p or you can do a web research request for £6 whereby they will supply you with one piece of information from the build records such as whether or not your TR6 was fitted with overdrive.

https://www.britishmotormuseum.co.uk/archive/information-services

cheers 

Derek

Hi Derek,

My car is a one owner car, bought on BL's Friends and Family Scheme! I have a Heritage Certificate and my HC is over 20 years old! It does not give all the correct details??? My car was ordered as what was called, in its day as a full spec car. The following items were missing: Tourneau cover, Hood cover, Hard Top, Head restraints, Tinted laminated wind screen, Hazard Waring lights as BAOR and correct tyres. I opted for XAS type. By the way my spare was an XAS. ( Just read TR Action). This was because the Dunlop SP Sports were breaking up on the German Motorways at 100 MPH. and there were some big claims on BL!

Bruce

Hi Bruce,

That's some list of missing items, hopefully they were able to provide an explanation and you got some of your money back? Interesting about your TR having the XAS as a spare,  I did read about the Dunlop SP sports problems back in the day.

cheers

Derek 

53 minutes ago, saffrontr said:

Hi Bruce,

That's some list of missing items, hopefully they were able to provide an explanation and you got some of your money back? Interesting about your TR having the XAS as a spare,  I did read about the Dunlop SP sports problems back in the day.

cheers

Derek 

Hi Derek,

When I queried this? The answered that I got was 'They have not been listed on the build record'. ' We can only put down what has been originally recorded!' This of course makes me a bit sceptical of how accurate these HC's are?

Bruce.

I have a photo of the Heritage Certificate. Unlike my TR2 Birth Certificates, the HC doesn't list the options fitted.

IMG_1926.JPG