Coronavirus II, the Vitamin D-free discussion thread.

There are logistical problems peculiar to each surgery.

In Thame, two surgeries share a building, and neither has sufficient space to accommodate the flow of patients.

Accordingly, Maddy and I were sent to Wheatley a week ago where the building is larger and they could accommodate two streams and the 4 areas required: car parking, reception, vaccination, rest (for 15 minutes to ensure that anyone keeling over would be spotted prior to departure).  It was well-organised and had been running all week.

The surgery where our son practises in Aylesbury hasn't the space either, and it seems that Aylesbury will be using the large Sports Centre (I don't know how many of the surgeries in and about the town are involved in this) .  Alex is being jabbed this morning, and will be administering the vaccine tomorrow.

Ian Cornish

Check out the info here

https://www.england.nhs.uk/statistics/statistical-work-areas/covid-19-vaccinations/

much depends on the partnership working of  the local authority and the local nhs trust  ( willingness and ability to organise) the LA can provide the premises and the non technical staff (meet and greet, admin and post vaccine observation etc) ( all their leisure facilities are shut and staff available)

the trust can administer the dose and deal with the clinical waste.

it works very well  - my mum in Devon went to a sports Center for her 1st dose - the 2nd was cancelled. 

and it working well in stoke.

Distribution is always going to be 'lumpy' particularly at the outset of such a massive exercise.

However, it was reported in the London Evening Standard earlier in the week that the vaccine is being distributed to health areas across the country in equal quantities, irrespective of population size. Apparently, this is the reason why a higher proportion of the highest risk citizens of London have yet to receive any vaccinations.

This may account for why my friend's 93 year old mother (still living independently) in Tavistock has already had both jabs.

It may also explain why the 94 year old mother of another friend in the Barnsley area (also still living independently) has yet to be contacted regarding vaccination. On the other hand, her 84 year old friend registered at the same practice has had her first vaccination. Given that date of birth is the one detail that GP surgeries seem to obsess about, this is a little difficult to understand.

We will get there.

Miles

Remarkably, the NHS database can identify almost anyone on three items, first and second name and date of birth.   Sometimes, with common names,  it is necessary to ask for an address, although usually we did it the other way, after the database had found them, to confirm that they were the right person.       Efficient use of data, some will say, others an intrusion on privacy, but let's keep that debate for another day.   

In my limited experience on the vaccinator's end of the needle,  several people either came with a partner, who should have been called as well but hadn't, or asked why they hadn't.       I couldn't answer, but the project organisers could and did, offering immediate vaccination to all the 'uncalled' who had arrived, or arranging for them to attend ASAP.   The NHS database is not an All-seeing Argus, and can need to be prodded!     So, Miles, your friend should contact the GP practice where their mother is registered.   I would hope that she will be vaccinated ASAP!

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2021-01-norway-adjusts-advice-vaccine-deaths.html?utm_source=nwletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=daily-nwletter

On the surface 1 death in 1300 is not too bad. But we are not told the percentage of that 30,000 who were elderly. I am trying to find out if that  30,000 includes younger  health workers.

Peter

If you think the NHS is handling the injections badly then look here for a little schadenfreude

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/german-covid-vaccine-officials-forced-to-guess-peoples-ages-from-names/ar-BB1cMKaL 

Pretty disgraceful really.

Alan

19 hours ago, Peter V W said:

Vaccines in Wales have been delayed for next week, 26,000 “delayed”.

This being 25% of the next delivery.

GP’s have been advised to cancel appointments.

So there is a supply problem.

Or maybe letting the  english be guinea pigs first ?

Peter

On 1/17/2021 at 2:07 PM, Peter Cobbold said:

Or maybe letting the  english be guinea pigs first ?

Peter

That's what the Aussies are doing.   But then their advantage of being an isolated island has meant that they have virtually no Covid at all.   Gosh, I bet other isolated islands can do as well, don't you?

12 hours ago, little jim said:

Having had the polio vaccine and smallpox vaccine, inter alia, I intend to to get the covid one, (as well as a suntan).

Can't understand why you are suggesting that the vaccine is not a good idea, what's wrong with two eggs in the basket??

I reacted badly to the Diphtheria jab when I was a baby, didn’t even get home from the Docs & mum had to turn the pram round and go back to the Docs. Consequently when we had the Smallpox outbreak here early 60s late 50s I was not vaccinated until the Doc sent for me at the very last minute he could leave it to.( about 61/2 as I was by then at senior school). At school when other children were vaccinated for this and that in the large caravan/ transporter thing I never joined them and was left sitting in the classroom alone. I was only ever inoculated for anything on my Docs say so.

I did have the Polio and eventually the Smallpox jabs, in much later years I have had the Yellow fever, cholera etc jabs but am concerned about this Covid jab as I understand one of the 3 is based similarly on the diphtheria jab ( possibly developed using eggs but not sure)

My GP back during the Smallpox outbreak here was always very concerned about how close we live to Heathrow Airport and how vulnerable we are here from nasties being brought into our area, if only he could see it now? It is beyond anything he or I could have imagined back them.

Anyway I am still worried about having this jab when my turn comes round, I do have the Flu jab each year.

My point is also that GPS here , now, don’t even know you,  you are lucky if you see the same one twice. They can’t possibly give the same kind of care we received back in the 50/60/70/ even the beginning of the 80s when my son was born.

Edited by SuzanneH
26 minutes ago, SuzanneH said:

My point is also that GPS here , now, don’t even know you,  you are lucky if you see the same one twice. They can’t possibly give the same kind of care we received back in the 50/60/70/ even the beginning of the 80s when my son was born.

Absolutely Sue, we used to have a small local practise of 2 partners, but NHS management decided that was inefficient and didn't renew their contract 5 or 6 years ago, but instead transferred all the 8 000 patients to a new practice that didn't exist - no premises and no staff. After 4 years of going to a temporary surgery staffed by locums, in an unsuitable building, they opened a new health centre quite near our original one, but I think I've only seen the same doctor twice on one occasion, when one of the locums made a follow-up appointment for me herself.

I wonder how many opportunities to improve patients' health have been missed by the lack of continuity that seems to be the norm these days.

Pete

On 1/16/2021 at 12:30 PM, Peter Cobbold said:

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2021-01-norway-adjusts-advice-vaccine-deaths.html?utm_source=nwletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=daily-nwletter

On the surface 1 death in 1300 is not too bad. But we are not told the percentage of that 30,000 who were elderly. I am trying to find out if that  30,000 includes younger  health workers.

Peter

Its not so bad, that 30,000 were all oldies, but i lost the link.

Shall probably have the jab myself, take a chance on the resulting pro-inflammatory cyotkines affecting my PD....

Sad though to see vaccinated oldies thinking thay  are safe to mingle again. They do not see that mass vax campigns are mainly designed to reduce spread of the virus and do not guarantee individual safety. I do not  see that message being mentioned by Hancock...

Peter

1 hour ago, john.r.davies said:

That's what the Aussies are doing.   But then their advantage of being an isolated island has meant that they have virtually no Covid at all.   Gosh, I bet other isolated islands can do as well, don't you?

The Aussies have another advantage that I should not mention on this thread,but will. Taking Adelaide as an example thir meand 25(OH)D is 70 nmol/L compared with UK ca 50  https://bmcpublichealth.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1471-2458-14-100UK summer level rises to ca 70nmol/L and C-19 deaths plummet.  I dont see Oz being protected by its isolation, rather its sunshine. The downside to all that sun is nasties lurking in the undergrowth...lethal brown snakes..spiders....

Peter

I speak to several AU colleagues, their isolation from the rest of the world is very good. Who has quarantaine hotels in EU? And off course, summer time helps but they had low numbers earlier on too.

Meanwhile, for the very rare occasion we go to a shop, I ordered some FFP3 masks, 3M 1863 (without the valve). 

Waldi

On 1/20/2021 at 12:57 AM, Peter Cobbold said:

The Aussies have another advantage that I should not mention on this thread,but will. Taking Adelaide as an example thir meand 25(OH)D is 70 nmol/L compared with UK ca 50  https://bmcpublichealth.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1471-2458-14-100UK summer level rises to ca 70nmol/L and C-19 deaths plummet.  I dont see Oz being protected by its isolation, rather its sunshine. The downside to all that sun is nasties lurking in the undergrowth...lethal brown snakes..spiders....

Peter

Pete,

while we can credit the the Oz sun with a few bonus points (the 'slip, slap, slop' campaign has in fact dropped our Vit D levels), the State (and Federal) authorities have to be given the credit for our low infection and death rates.

They stepped in very early, locked down outbreak areas, restricting movement, and put considerable resources into contact tracing and isolation. It seems the countries with high rates of transmission avoided lockdown, putting economic interests ahead of health interests.

Victoria has  locked up quite a few overseas tennis players recently, some of whom initially whinged at what is, for them, a new experience compared to home. 

The Kiwis did a better job of it than Oz, and they are at latitudes getting close to UK latitudes (circa 34 to 47deg - NZ ; circa 50 to 55deg -UK).

Keep up your Vit D but get the jab as well.

Edited by little jim
correction
On 1/19/2021 at 8:38 AM, Peter Cobbold said:

Its not so bad, that 30,000 were all oldies, but i lost the link.

Shall probably have the jab myself, take a chance on the resulting pro-inflammatory cyotkines affecting my PD....

Sad though to see vaccinated oldies thinking thay  are safe to mingle again. They do not see that mass vax campigns are mainly designed to reduce spread of the virus and do not guarantee individual safety. I do not  see that message being mentioned by Hancock...

Peter

We are being told that the Moderna and Pfizer vaccines are 95% effective and that nobody in the test groups got seriously ill even if they got infected. What is not clear is whether vaccinated and infected people can still spread the virus so even weeks after the second dose we are told to continue with the mask etc. Also around here you cant go anywhere without the mask and it will not be practical to differentiate between unmasked but vaccinated people and a$$holes.

Stan

9 hours ago, little jim said:

Victoria has  locked up quite a few overseas tennis players recently, some of whom initially whinged at what is, for them, a new experience compared to home. 

You're being mean to them. I heard one of them complained because she had to wash her own hair (don't care if she was quoted out of context, it still made me laugh).

Nigel

18 hours ago, foster461 said:

We are being told that the Moderna and Pfizer vaccines are 95% effective and that nobody in the test groups got seriously ill even if they got infected. What is not clear is whether vaccinated and infected people can still spread the virus so even weeks after the second dose we are told to continue with the mask etc. Also around here you cant go anywhere without the mask and it will not be practical to differentiate between unmasked but vaccinated people and a$$holes.

Stan

Honestly, some people!  In shorter time than any major vaccine ever productively comes to save you, and you criticise it!

1 hour ago, john.r.davies said:

Honestly, some people!  In shorter time than any major vaccine ever productively comes to save you, and you criticise it!

My post was in regard to the need to continue with the virus precautions even after vaccination. What part did you think was criticizing the vaccine ?

Stan

3 minutes ago, Peter Cobbold said:

that 52% figure confirms what beeb mentioned afew days ago, and have been silent since. Why?

8 minutes ago, Peter Cobbold said:

Where's Moses when you need him?