Having just fitted an inertia fuel cut out switch to my TR6 I started to consider other worthwhile safety features and with winter looming I'm considering using the time to fit a rear fire wall and a roll bar.

Can anyone point me at a good supplier for a roll bar that will allow me to retain the hood.

Thanks

Phil

7 hours ago, North London Mike said:

Winter coming ? Winter tyres would may be your biggest gain, better to avoid the accident than try to survive it.

However, I assume the Six isn't your daily :ph34r:

I'm a big fan of winter tyres, especially for RWD cars.

Have a set for the Alpina ready for action on cheap aftermarket wheels, they TRANSFORM the car in cold and wet conditions, and make it driveable in snowy conditions.

steve

Hi Phil, 

I have a roll bar in good condition sitting in my shed. It has all the fittings and comfortably allows the soft top to open and close. There is also a windbreaker that fits with it. Let me know if you are interested. I’m near Worcester.

Colin

8 hours ago, Phil H 4 said:

Good Point Mike,

No not my daily, have a 4x4 for that, not sure i'd take the 6 out in the snow Steve but with global warming not sure it'll be an issue for long :huh:

Winter tyres aren't really about snow, there really about sub 5 deg temp where summer tyres just give up but winter ones remain pliable and grippy. The UK is cold and damp for 4-5 months, thats when they're needed :ph34r: 

24 minutes ago, North London Mike said:

Winter tyres aren't really about snow, there really about sub 5 deg temp where summer tyres just give up but winter ones remain pliable and grippy. The UK is cold and damp for 4-5 months, thats when they're needed :ph34r: 

I agree Mike, but experience with 911s and the Alpina both transformed in their behaviour on packed snow by Michelin Alpine tyres, M&S rated.

On 11/14/2020 at 4:44 AM, Peter V W said:

I have an Aley bars, narrow so roof still fits.

DE32CE83-9E4A-4A44-8836-CF1DA61D6EDE.jpeg

These roll bars do not conform to the required Australian vehicle engineering standards. The occupants head is too close to the bar thereby increasing the risk of head injuries in accidents.

It isn't easy to install a roll bar that does conform.

7 hours ago, John McCormack said:

These roll bars do not conform to the required Australian vehicle engineering standards. The occupants head is too close to the bar thereby increasing the risk of head injuries in accidents.

It isn't easy to install a roll bar that does conform.

As always fitting equipment not originally specified within the original confines of the "envelope" which is the car is always a compromise. Although the roll bar fitment here looks close to the headrest the headrest prevents impact against the bar, also I doubt the engineering standards written in Aussie land are meant to encompass a pre built 50 year old design and likely would not apply and the vehicle be exempt from it. If the vehicle had to be inspected I would likely limit the rearward seat travel to comply with the clearance required. The same batch of engineering regulations would likely refer to clearance to the occupants side windows, absolutely non negotiable in a TR, they are just too narrow, and also likely again not applicable to vehicles of it's age.

The trade off between a non fitment of a roll over bar and the very likely death of the occupants in the event of a rollover when a roll over bar is not fitted

1474073765_Rolledsidescreen.jpg.b93245fe9d6c8794e780f6393ddbaf42.jpg 

can often be argued successfully against the possible damage caused in the event of hitting your head upon it.

Happily a rear alloy firewall can be fitted at the rear of the cockpit behind the trim panel helping to prevent the incursion of fuel into the cockpit in the event of accident  (the structure and cockpit will "lozenge" upon side impact or inversion) it is invisible in use and relatively cheap at about £70 to buy pre cut.

Sometimes a roll over bar fitment can be suitably padded in areas near the occupants heads which could negate unsympathetic engineering standards being applied to a 50 year old car, most inspection bodies will judge that the safety added by it's fitment trumps any peripheral judgements of non compliance to clearance of the bar to occupants.

Mick Richards        

None standard or not I've fitted roll bars in all my previous MX5's and your head was pretty close but it was also close to the side of the hood frame which was difficult to pad and the most dangerous bit in my opinion due to the protruding hinge nuts.. Unfortunately I've twice rolled these cars at speed in the wet on tracks and was fortunate to walk away from them on each occasion a bit concussed but alive. Without the bar I suspect things might have been a lot different. The ribbing from my mates for years to come has been worse!

I'd agree with fitting the best tyres for summer and swap for a winter set if your planning on all year round use (just don't expect them to last forever they go hard) and ensure the braking system is optimal. Good inertia seat belts that lock well or even harness if you can convince your partner to wear it!

I'm not planning on tracking this car at all but will fit a bar and fit a proper metal fire wall as Mick suggests and any other useful bits to promote component reliability and safety while keeping her looking as standard as possible.

Andy

1 hour ago, Motorsport Mickey said:

As always fitting equipment not originally specified within the original confines of the "envelope" which is the car is always a compromise. Although the roll bar fitment here looks close to the headrest the headrest prevents impact against the bar, also I doubt the engineering standards written in Aussie land are meant to encompass a pre built 50 year old design and likely would not apply and the vehicle be exempt from it. If the vehicle had to be inspected I would likely limit the rearward seat travel to comply with the clearance required. The same batch of engineering regulations would likely refer to clearance to the occupants side windows, absolutely non negotiable in a TR, they are just too narrow, and also likely again not applicable to vehicles of it's age.

The trade off between a non fitment of a roll over bar and the very likely death of the occupants in the event of a rollover when a roll over bar is not fitted

1474073765_Rolledsidescreen.jpg.b93245fe9d6c8794e780f6393ddbaf42.jpg 

can often be argued successfully against the possible damage caused in the event of hitting your head upon it.

Happily a rear alloy firewall can be fitted at the rear of the cockpit behind the trim panel helping to prevent the incursion of fuel into the cockpit in the event of accident  (the structure and cockpit will "lozenge" upon side impact or inversion) it is invisible in use and relatively cheap at about £70 to buy pre cut.

Sometimes a roll over bar fitment can be suitably padded in areas near the occupants heads which could negate unsympathetic engineering standards being applied to a 50 year old car, most inspection bodies will judge that the safety added by it's fitment trumps any peripheral judgements of non compliance to clearance of the bar to occupants.

Mick Richards        

Unfortunately these regs are for our cars. If you fit many non standard or non option bits to your car it needs to be certified by a qualified engineer. 

The actual distances and angles are a bit complicated but that bar would need to be quite a few inches further aft.

Stage 2 of the safety protocol completed. Fluid / fume barrier fitted using 3mm aluminum composite sandwich. Lower areas sealed with intumescent sealer. Wings sealed to metal flanges and arch covering to prevent fumes entering the cab. Appreciating this isn't to the standard required for track use but at the very least makes me feel a little safer should the tank rupture following a collision.

138.jpg

133.jpg

134.jpg

130.jpg

I fitted a similar panel made up of 0.9mm gal steel sheet, bolted in with rivnuts and sealed with Sikasil 670 Fire for the same reasons. Mine worked well in keeping the fumes out  and seems to have stiffened up the body a fair bit.

I was very uncomfortable with the thought of my aluminum splitting tank splitting in an accident and spraying petrol into the cockpit. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just fitted a roll bar supplied by TRGB. Very good price when compared with other suppliers.

Took a bit of fiddling to get everything lined up and the hood to clear the rear support bar.

I now have a mesh wind deflector that I hoped would fit behind the roll bar, but No.

So I will put it in classified unless anyone wants one PM me. Pic attached. I have made additional brackets to raise the deflector as initially it was a little low.

I am going to make a bespoke deflector that will fit within the roll bar, if anyone has tried this let me know.

47(1).jpg

48(1).jpg