TR4 Steel Surrey top

On 11/18/2020 at 6:24 PM, Greg said:

Hi Stuart, I assumed it was a middle stud. I shall get some photos and post them so you will have a better understanding of my issues. 

thanks

Greg

Hi Stuart,

I now have some photos to share. You will I hope understand where I am coming from regarding seals etc for the roof. If you can help, I’d appreciate it. 
I hope to gain a lot of experience from being her back to former glory. 

Thanks, Greg

454DA449-4D6A-40BD-A88B-D5BD01801CF3.jpeg

34603951-15A5-4058-9438-C1A4D91324D3.jpeg

5A2B016B-3413-4D26-B916-022E9756918C.jpeg

As you can see in this diagram there is a rear bar that slides into a pocket sewn into the soft section held down with two thumb screws to hold it down no poppers apart from the ends. Also the rear seal is sponge rubber so soft https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr5-6/weather-equipment/hard-tops/surrey-top-fittings-tr5-tr250-1967-68.html

Stuart.

5 hours ago, RogerH said:

Hi Greg, 

those studs should not be there. The back is held down by a curved bar sewn into the fabric

Roger

DSC_5046a.jpg

Hi Roger, those studs are on the rear light and the hood I have has the poppers. Strange. 

Greg

I seem to remember another member fitting these extra poppers because he had a problem screwing upwards into the curved rear bar that as Stuart says is placed within the rear section of the soft top. The damage you've seen on the rear backlight window top frame (that's it's name) is normally caused by the hardtop having a corresponding pad on the underside which sits on the rear frame there, some members cut out a circle of thin rubber and stick it onto the hardtop pad to help prevent it.

Mick Richards  

16 hours ago, Greg said:

Hi Roger, those studs are on the rear light and the hood I have has the poppers. Strange. 

Greg

I have a scrap Surrey soft section here that has poppers across the middle at the rear, they shouldnt be there but back in the days when people didnt know any better it was a way of fitting it when either the bar dropped out or someone lost the thumb screws to hold it down with, bush engineering.

Stuart.

On 11/21/2020 at 8:53 PM, Motorsport Mickey said:

I seem to remember another member fitting these extra poppers because he had a problem screwing upwards into the curved rear bar that as Stuart says is placed within the rear section of the soft top. The damage you've seen on the rear backlight window top frame (that's it's name) is normally caused by the hardtop having a corresponding pad on the underside which sits on the rear frame there, some members cut out a circle of thin rubber and stick it onto the hardtop pad to help prevent it.

Mick Richards  

Hi Mick,

thank you for the info. At the moment I’m think the roof and the back light might need some professional help. If I do anything myself, I’ll keep your advice in mind. 

Greg

10 hours ago, stuart said:

I have a scrap Surrey soft section here that has poppers across the middle at the rear, they shouldnt be there but back in the days when people didnt know any better it was a way of fitting it when either the bar dropped out or someone lost the thumb screws to hold it down with, bush engineering.

Stuart.

I think this might be the bush engineering version. The car was exported to Sweden in the early 90’s, where it underwent a restoration. It has been brought to the U.K. recently and I intend to bring back to a decent standard. The engine and gearbox seem solid. 

Greg

On 11/22/2020 at 9:11 PM, Greg said:

I think this might be the bush engineering version. The car was exported to Sweden in the early 90’s, where it underwent a restoration. It has been brought to the U.K. recently and I intend to bring back to a decent standard. The engine and gearbox seem solid. 

Greg

Hi Stuart,

I would just like your advice re the hard roof on the TR4. Ad you’ve seen, mine has had additional pressure studs fitted in order to fit the Surrey top. I’m seeing a fabricator this week and was wondering if I should ask the to remove and repair the middle 3 studs, leaving the outer 2 and then obtain a “proper” survey top?

I would like to keep the car as original as possible (where practical).

I assumed the roof was steel, but in fact it’s aluminium. 

Kind regards

Greg

Edited by Greg
16 hours ago, Greg said:

Hi Stuart,

I would just like your advice re the hard roof on the TR4. Ad you’ve seen, mine has had additional pressure studs fitted in order to fit the Surrey top. I’m seeing a fabricator this week and was wondering if I should ask the to remove and repair the middle 3 studs, leaving the outer 2 and then obtain a “proper” survey top?

I would like to keep the car as original as possible (where practical).

I assumed the roof was steel, but in fact it’s aluminium. 

Kind regards

Greg

Yes get rid of the excess studs and just leave the outer two, You could have your Surrey altered to cover the holes up or buy a new one, up to you, Your lucky to have an ally roof just be careful of it as they damage easily.

Stuart.

9 hours ago, stuart said:

Yes get rid of the excess studs and just leave the outer two, You could have your Surrey altered to cover the holes up or buy a new one, up to you, Your lucky to have an ally roof just be careful of it as they damage easily.

Stuart.

Thanks Stuart. I value your advice. Apologies for not proof reading before pressing send on my message to you. 

Greg

• 1 month later...
On 12/1/2020 at 9:52 AM, stuart said:

Stuart.

Good afternoon Stuart,

Happy new year.
I have taken your advice and arranged for the extra studs to be removed and the Backlight repaired and repainted. 
I have also bought a new Surrey top from Moss bros. However there are 6 little button studs in the box that I no idea where they would fit. It looks on the drawing to be in the 4 corners and middle. Are these necessary or for cosmetic purpose. Are you able to advise on this? 
thank you

Greg

9F810048-9514-4A58-A417-E58332B35DE7.jpeg

1 hour ago, Greg said:

Good afternoon Stuart,

Happy new year.
I have taken your advice and arranged for the extra studs to be removed and the Backlight repaired and repainted. 
I have also bought a new Surrey top from Moss bros. However there are 6 little button studs in the box that I no idea where they would fit. It looks on the drawing to be in the 4 corners and middle. Are these necessary or for cosmetic purpose. Are you able to advise on this? 
thank you

Greg

9F810048-9514-4A58-A417-E58332B35DE7.jpeg

Hi Greg

There are two press studs on the rear frame top, one on each side, there are two more at the front, one on each side and the last two are in the middle above the windows for the edges of the frame.

Stuart.

1 hour ago, RogerH said:

Hi Greg,

if your new surrey roof is the soft top the you will need the poppers - in the corners and at he sides

Roger

Hi Roger,  these poppers are not the same ‘press studs, as per the top on the car at the moment. These are much smaller. Item 62 on the moss Surrey top page. I will order the other ones soon. 
thanks for the response 

Greg

1 hour ago, stuart said:

Hi Greg

There are two press studs on the rear frame top, one on each side, there are two more at the front, one on each side and the last two are in the middle above the windows for the edges of the frame.

Stuart.

Thanks Stuart,

you’ve said the same as Roger. When o spoke to someone at Moss, they told me about the corner and middle ones. Are these the correct poppers to the Surrey top down?

om still getting confused and there is nowhere near here (lockdown withstanding) I go to for a chat. 
thank you

Greg

11 minutes ago, RogerH said:

Hi Greg,

where about's are you.

I'm in West London near Heathrow.

Roger

Hi Roger,

I’m in Andover Hampshire. It’s looking like we will be going into lockdown sooner rather than later. ☹️ 

Greg

15 hours ago, Greg said:

Thanks Stuart,

you’ve said the same as Roger. When o spoke to someone at Moss, they told me about the corner and middle ones. Are these the correct poppers to the Surrey top down?

om still getting confused and there is nowhere near here (lockdown withstanding) I go to for a chat. 
thank you

Greg

Those poppers are correct, you will need this tool to set them with. https://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/product/1180/durable-dot-bed-and-punch  Though I do have one you could borrow and a small hole punch too, something like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-4-6mm-Darice-Single-Circle-Hole-Punch-Cardmaking-Scrapbooking-Craft-Punch/174505044046?hash=item28a14fa84e:g:HEUAAOSwiLVfoo3j

Stuart.

The “poppers” on the Surrey(soft) top are one on each of the four corners and one on each side ( the two middle ones snap onto the ones on the top frame. There are also poppers on the widthways flap on the underside of the top which goes around the centre rail of the frame to hold the top down to it.

Graham

22 hours ago, stuart said:

Those poppers are correct, you will need this tool to set them with. https://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/product/1180/durable-dot-bed-and-punch  Though I do have one you could borrow and a small hole punch too, something like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-4-6mm-Darice-Single-Circle-Hole-Punch-Cardmaking-Scrapbooking-Craft-Punch/174505044046?hash=item28a14fa84e:g:HEUAAOSwiLVfoo3j

Stuart.

Hi Stuart,

thank you again for the advice. It looks like someone has used oversized poppers in my car, I’ve attached photos. These are attached with self tappers. Thank you for the offer of the loan, I shall ask the guys doing the fitting if they have one. They told me they have a guy who does their soft tops. I’m hoping to keep the car as original as I can. 

Greg

0AAAD068-CAF6-4BB7-9D6E-16984BD76482.jpeg

On 1/5/2021 at 5:16 PM, Grahamgl said:

The “poppers” on the Surrey(soft) top are one on each of the four corners and one on each side ( the two middle ones snap onto the ones on the top frame. There are also poppers on the widthways flap on the underside of the top which goes around the centre rail of the frame to hold the top down to it.

Graham

Thanks Graham. On my current soft top, all the poppers, (press studs) are rather large and have been fitted with self tapping screws in the back middle (soft top Frame) and front. I shall ask the local group chairman if there is anyone in the group who might be able to help with this bit. 

Greg

On 1/7/2021 at 10:14 AM, Greg said:

Thanks Graham. On my current soft top, all the poppers, (press studs) are rather large and have been fitted with self tapping screws in the back middle (soft top Frame) and front. I shall ask the local group chairman if there is anyone in the group who might be able to help with this bit. 

Greg

Gentlemen.

I have just realised how dense I have been. There is 10 female poppers that came with the hood but the four that fit on the inside to hold down the middle we’re already fitted. Hence I have 4 more than needed; hence my confusion. 
My thanks to everyone who has helped me, particularly Stuart whose patience I think I have tried. 
I will keep you updated when (COVID permitting) the work is done before I move onto other jobs. 

Greg