TR4 Steel Surrey top

Hi, I’ve recently purchased a 1963 TR4 which came with an original steel hard top. I don’t think it is complete seal wise. Can anyone supply me with photos of the underside of theirs so I can get some reference points? Mine seems to have this hard lip on the underside at the rear that is breaking up. Also, is there a seal that covers the press studs for the soft Surrey top?

any help would be gratefully appreciated. 

Greg

This is what was on the rear of my steel lid and has now been replaced with very similar profile. front edge is a substantial rubber seal. will see if I have any images of that.

Hope it helps.

Tim

IMG_4862s.thumb.JPG.d93d58a32c56605e5ac281324581b8a7.JPG

... best that I can find.

Tim

IMG_5939s.thumb.JPG.8d25d91359a199efe30bc3aebc8006f4.JPG

2 hours ago, Tim T said:

... best that I can find.

Tim

IMG_5939s.thumb.JPG.8d25d91359a199efe30bc3aebc8006f4.JPG

Hi Tim,

during the Spring lock down I was doing as mini refurb on the 4A and noticed that the inner lip pf the steel lid look unfinished.

Although the roof lining fabric was nicely shaped around it it looked bare.

So I fitted it with black fur flex  and though I was only person in the world to have done it - oooopps speak too soon.

It looks much neater with the furflex.

Roger

14 minutes ago, RogerH said:

Hi Tim,

during the Spring lock down I was doing as mini refurb on the 4A and noticed that the inner lip pf the steel lid look unfinished.

Although the roof lining fabric was nicely shaped around it it looked bare.

So I fitted it with black fur flex  and though I was only person in the world to have done it - oooopps speak too soon.

It looks much neater with the furflex.

Roger

That was original.

Stuart

Great minds obviously think alike. Trying to be as boringly original as possible within reason!

Tim

IMG_6400s.thumb.JPG.1b3b0ff1851bc5de411a0d23be7806c8.JPG

On 11/14/2020 at 6:31 PM, mike3md said:

Greg,

Sorry, my top is on the car at the moment. 

Have a look at the parts drawings here: https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr2-4a/weather-equipment/hard-tops/surrey-top-fittings-tr4-4a-1961-67.html

Mike

Hi Mike,

I have looked at the drawings and even printed them off in readiness to order the parts. My problem is identifying what goes where. It’s a major headache. 

thanks for responding. 

greg

On 11/15/2020 at 7:57 AM, little jim said:

Dunno if these help. on a 4A

IMG_0505.thumb.JPG.94f1b58c3da5e3b17cd42ab408e5c5ef.JPGIMG_0504.thumb.JPG.5b9a7855eaa71537f8949e076f7aac89.JPGIMG_0503.thumb.JPG.ea13ae709da90ee8342ef7c5ea427db9.JPGIMG_0502.thumb.JPG.6bb596593315b98aa81c8e8a6c37cd17.JPGIMG_0862.thumb.JPG.7599eb13819dfc2dc5f823084cca4a75.JPGIMG_0859.thumb.JPG.b481ad39735f62e35d9b645c701a9ef2.JPGIMG_0271.thumb.JPG.71c87336f5c312bccca8deadcc4d654c.JPGIMG_0255.thumb.JPG.8e8e78ab11eb46dc131ce6d2939dbe5d.JPG

Hi Little Jim,

thank you, photos are always helpful. I shall print the off for ease of comparing. My roof seems to have a solid piece towards the back that is breaking up. I’m guessing it’s a seal that someone has stuck on and it is now perishing due to age. It’s also covered in paint! 

greg

On 11/15/2020 at 9:44 AM, Tim T said:

This is what was on the rear of my steel lid and has now been replaced with very similar profile. front edge is a substantial rubber seal. will see if I have any images of that.

Hope it helps.

Tim

IMG_4862s.thumb.JPG.d93d58a32c56605e5ac281324581b8a7.JPG

Hi Tim, 

that looks very much like mine, but it is breaking up. There are no other seals anywhere on the lid. There is however, a spot where the central press stud has rubbed on the underside of the roof. 

thanks for the photo. 

Greg

9 minutes ago, RogerH said:

Hi Greg,

where about's are you? If near Heathrow airport then pop over to me and see mine

Roger

Hi Roger,

I’m in Thruxton, Andover; sadly. Thanks for the offer. 
I’m desperate to get the roof sorted, it will be my start to restoring the car, which to be fair is in good nick. It was restored in the early 90’s. Now it needs bringing back up. 

Greg

Greg,

This pic is the front n/s corner.

IMG_5939s.thumb.JPG.b0f261ebab78cacdf4a8ec469ff87f0a.JPG.

...and this is the remains of the seal across the rear of the lid.

IMG_4862s.thumb.JPG.9b9d25de5d10ddf8ba87b56af9024818.JPG

Hope this helps.

Tim

Greg,

The lid should, I believe, have a pretty heavy seal to the front, a neoprene rubber seal on the rear, and 2 cantrail seals that sit in the channels above each window. You can see these channels in my first pic.

However I am an apprentice, Stuart is the master.

Tim

2 hours ago, RogerH said:

Hi Greg,

If I get time during the week I'll take mine off and take some pics.

I hope it doesn't rain.

Roger

Hi Roger,

thank you for offering to do that for me. I could drive down to Heathrow with mine in the boot of my everyday car. Though it wouldn’t be for a while; I have a lot on at the moment. 

thanks again,

Greg

1 hour ago, Tim T said:

Greg,

The lid should, I believe, have a pretty heavy seal to the front, a neoprene rubber seal on the rear, and 2 cantrail seals that sit in the channels above each window. You can see these channels in my first pic.

However I am an apprentice, Stuart is the master.

Tim

Hi Tim,

thanks for the updated info. I am going to turn mine over again. I’ll put some pictures on when I’ve done it. 

cheers Greg

11 hours ago, Greg said:

Hi Roger,

thank you for offering to do that for me. I could drive down to Heathrow with mine in the boot of my everyday car. Though it wouldn’t be for a while; I have a lot on at the moment. 

thanks again,

Greg

Being in this lock down is a pain preventing us progressing our hobbies with non essential travel.

not long now tho :rolleyes:

give thanks for this forum it’s a sanity saver.

Edited by Hamish
14 hours ago, Greg said:

Hi Tim, 

that looks very much like mine, but it is breaking up. There are no other seals anywhere on the lid. There is however, a spot where the central press stud has rubbed on the underside of the roof. 

thanks for the photo. 

Greg

What central press stud? there should only be one either end at the rear on the top corners of the frame. (I know this is a Honeybourne fibre one but same rule applies to originals)

Stuart.

Surrey top and backlight 001.jpg

9 hours ago, stuart said:

What central press stud? there should only be one either end at the rear on the top corners of the frame. (I know this is a Honeybourne fibre one but same rule applies to originals)

Stuart.

Surrey top and backlight 001.jpg

Hi Stuart, I assumed it was a middle stud. I shall get some photos and post them so you will have a better understanding of my issues. 

thanks

Greg