Propshaft Replacement - Correct Procedure

4 hours ago, JochemsTR said:

So to summarize:

A-Type OD and non-OD: removing towards the front.

J-Type OD: removing towards the aft, with removing the diff in most cases necessary.

Korrekt?

Jochem

I think not

I have a TR6 J-OD with a lot of trouble with prop from Revington. In short the old had vibrations and after changing U-joint still persist and the high performance new item from Rev failed two times. So I am familiar with removing and all without touching the diff. As far as I can see my frame is stock and although there is not much space left the prop comes out to the front.

My V8 also had several props but I have the Rover gearbox at the front. Flange is same position as Triumph gearbox and here I had two props with much larger diameter at the tubes and they still come out.

I would expect little differences in the frame or engine mounting if some have trouble and some have not. It is not gearbox related.

I did see some people can change the front belt and some have problems to pass between engine and tube. These also might have difficulties with the prop because engine is a little bit more located to rear.

On 12.11.2020 at 23:22, rcreweread said:

Hallo zusammen, ich helfe bei einer TR6-Überholung eines Freundes und die Kardanwelle muss ersetzt werden. Nachdem ich beide Enden gelöst habe (der Getriebetunnel ist ausgeschaltet) und den Auspuff in der Nähe entfernt habe, kann ich nicht sehen, wie Sie ihn vorwärts oder rückwärts herausholen können ohne ernsthaftes Metallschlagen - muss ich das Diff fallen lassen?

Jeder Rat wäre sehr willkommen

Prost Rich

Hello

I once learned that a cardan shaft should be treated like a raw egg. And that's how I do it too !!
A cardan shaft rotates with engine speed and +.
And transfers all of the torque back and forth.
No thought should be wasted not to expand the diff for TR's. And it is very important that the flanges are bare metal!
Color can lead to nasty surprises.

Be vigilant in this area of the TR
Ralf