Propshaft Replacement - Correct Procedure

Hi all - am helping with a friends TR6 refurb and the propshaft needs to be replaced  - having unbolted both ends ( the gearbox tunnel is off) and removed the nearside exhaust, I can't see how you can get it out either forwards or backwards without some serious metal bashing  - do I need to drop the diff?

Any advice would be most welcome

Cheers  Rich

Jochem - thanks for your input - that's what I was afraid of - various people have suggested a bit of brute force and it will come out but it seems a "little" might be an understatement! "Quite a bit" of force so far is clearly nowhere near enough! Getting the old one out is one thing, but I've got to get the new one in as well!

Do you know if there would there be enough room to drop the diff sufficiently without unbolting the driveshafts?

The reason the tunnel was off was to check out an OD issue and running the car like that highlighted the propshaft issue - these things are never ending!

Cheers Rich

I've removed my propshaft a couple of times, I can't remember how it came out but it wasn't any trouble, 4 bolts at the gearbox end and another four at the diff and I'm sure it slid out and downwards to the front. It'll be removed again over the winter as the gearbox needs repairs, but that's no use to you right now.

Richard.

You would think by cutting corners it is faster and easier....it seldom pays off.

I remove the diff completely.....I gave up a long time ago....I now have the diff removed and installed in about 20 minutes---(ok make it 30 :-)) .

Jochem

Edited by JochemsTR

I had a 72 reg TR6 and removed the twin exhaust, unbolted each end of the prop shaft . pushed it together then removed it without any problem. Why others have difficulty I cannot say unless there is a physical difference between some cars. Refitting it was just as easy and quick, good luck.

Rob

Aftermarket prop shafts have different lengths.

I had one where the compressed lenght would just fit between diff and gb. Result: vibration and not able to flex-extend. Cut the propshaft by about 1" - reweld - rebalance.

I thought this was due to the gb being too much aft. It wasn't. I compared prop shafts lengths and they did differ.

Removing the prop shaft towards the back with diff in place only works when the prop shaft is short enough, since it needs to go thru the t-shirt under an angle.

9 hours ago, OldBob said:

Rich,

Which model TR6 is it ?

( I would presume a CR late 6 with J type OD as you are having difficulty),

Bob

Bob - Correct - its a 73  CR series.

One positive is that I've found a good propshaft supplier who had stock at a very reasonable price ( https://baileymorris.co.uk/ ) so I ordered extra for my forthcoming restos! Ordered Thursday afternoon and arrived Friday and quality looks top notch and includes grease nipples - happy customer!

Thank you everyone else for your input - the way this car is, there appears to be no way you can remove the prop without dropping or certainly loosening the diff which is tomorrows job,

I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers Rich

Surprised you cant remove it and I cant believe it should be any different between A type or J type, I've removed mine a few times now and always followed the workshop manual which says to remove from the front and I've never had any issues and certainly never had to remove or loosen the diff.

cheers

Derek

49 minutes ago, saffrontr said:

Surprised you cant remove it and I cant believe it should be any different between A type or J type, I've removed mine a few times now and always followed the workshop manual which says to remove from the front and I've never had any issues and certainly never had to remove or loosen the diff.

cheers

Derek

Derek - if removing from the front, is the gearbox left solidly mounted?  I've already undone the gearbox mounting and raised the gearbox with a jack underneath as far as it would go and still not enough room .

Very puzzling!

Cheers Rich

9 minutes ago, michaeldavis39 said:

Are there two sizes of propshafts i.e one length for non overdrive and a different length for with overdrive? My propshaft is not one solid tube it has a short length on it at one end which retracts as I would have thought they all do don't they?

Its all the same prop.

Stuart.

7 minutes ago, michaeldavis39 said:

Maybe originally Stuart but after 50 years perhaps parts have got mixed up - just an idea.

Its actually essentially apart from flange shape changes the same prop all the way through the range from TR2 to TR6 and no matter what transmission.

Stuart..

Measure the prop fully pushed together and maybe somebody can compare it with another, because it should come off with the overdrive and diff in place. If it were another prop from a different car it would need to be several inches longer to stop it being dismantled I would guess. Is a Stag or saloon prop longer?

Rob

44 minutes ago, Robert Price said:

Measure the prop fully pushed together and maybe somebody can compare it with another, because it should come off with the overdrive and diff in place. If it were another prop from a different car it would need to be several inches longer to stop it being dismantled I would guess. Is a Stag or saloon prop longer?

Rob

Stag prop shaft is longer than TR and has the same flanges.  Saloon is a longer shaft again with smaller UJs and the flanges do not match the TR gearbox/axle drive flanges.

Peter W

To change the prop shaft on my November 1972 CF TR6 which has a saloon gearbox with J type overdrive the differential has to be dropped, it just will not come out with the differential in place.

I have changed the propshaft on a friend's 1971 TR6 with an A type overdrive and out it came with dif in place, I have also done a propshaft on my TR3A which has an A type overdrive and again no need to touch the back axle,

I always assumed it was the different overdrive units that set the requirement to remove the differential or not. The propshafts are all the same I have just checked them as the old ones are still in my scrap bin

George 

Peter that was my point- over 50 years there may have been a different size propshaft that has been used even if TR ones are same as you said Stag was longer and fits a TR6. I've measured my propshaft (photo attached)to help Richard Crewe Read to see if his is the same size as nobody has actually given any dimensions - I measured 26 inches from yolk to yolk or 66cm - fully compressed.

IMG_20201115_183407220.jpg

Michael - thanks for the measurement - just been and measured the new one and it is 26" long as per yours - also checked the flanges were correct TR ones and they were. Just checked 3 old ones I had in the shed and they were all 26" as well.

However I can't check the one in the car at the moment till tomorrow so will report back with what I find

Cheers Rich