Oil drain plug on 72 tr6

Funnily I recently asked the same question to my friend Gareth who has worked on these cars for tens of years and he said the TR6 has drain plug on the front and the Saloon cars had the plug on the side. I have 3 sumps for Triumph 6 cylinder engines and all of them have the drain plug on the front. No doubt someone else will be along with another answer soon.

Michael

4 hours ago, Dave McDonald said:

My TR5 has the sump plug at the front, but I thought all TR6s had the plug at the back left hand side/corner, which is more logical to better drain the sump when, as most people without a lift do, you jack up the front of the car for access.

Dave McD

Same, left hand rear. 1970 CP PI.

I have both a TR6 and a 2000 saloon. On the saloon, the drain plug has to be on the side, as the front crossmember is very tight to the front of the sump and would not allow for access to a plug there. Whereas the TR6 has the plug at the front, as did my previous TR.

But access is easy at both the front and side of the sump on the TR, so both types of sumps will work, whereas the saloon can only use a side plug sump. I can only assume some TRs have had a sump swap over the years.

Matt

Edited by matt george

TR5's and early TR6's (69 - 70 I believe) had the sump drain plug at the left side front, not the front of the sump pan. Edit: wrong, its up the front of the pan!! :rolleyes:

I'm sure Derek will be along to give the CP change over point as it escape me at the moment....... 

Cheers, Andrew

Edited by Andrew Smith

Revington state that TR5 & early TR6 had it on the front face https://www.revingtontr.com/product/307834/name/engine-sump-tr5-6

2 minutes ago, iani said:

Revington state that TR5 & early TR6 had it on the front face https://www.revingtontr.com/product/307834/name/engine-sump-tr5-6

Front face, that's right iani - I've just been trawling through photographs of Saffys engine but couldn't find anything useful, I knew the plug was up there somewhere, so much for my memory!! :D

The parts books list two different sumps for the TR6. The first is no 307836 for TR6 up to CF11577 & CR2911 i.e. the end of the 1973 model and part no 307834 thereafter. Presumably the earlier version has the plug on the front and the later at the rear. My own CP54529-O has it on the front. 

Strangely enough the illustrations in the parts books show it on the side!

cheers

Derek

8 minutes ago, saffrontr said:

The parts books list two different sumps for the TR6. The first is no 307836 for TR6 up to CF11577 & CR2911 i.e. the end of the 1973 model and part no 307834 thereafter. Presumably the earlier version has the plug on the front and the later at the rear. My own CP54529-O has it on the front. 

Strangely enough the illustrations in the parts books show it on the side!

cheers

Derek

My Jan made 1973 TR CR 1001 type has the sump plug at the front.

Bruce.

CP51049, Feb 70 build. Plug rear left. 

But who knows what sumps have been fitted where over 50 years. A guaranteed one owner might be able to tell.

My cousin Alan sent me the following weblink which shows an nos TR6 sump with the plug on the side as John has fitted to his. It gives the part no 307835 and the ad says it was fitted to the 1973 to 1976 TR6. I can't find this part number in any of my Triumph parts books or the Roadster factory books so presumably it must be in one of the parts supersession parts lists?  If anyone can find it, it would be good to close the loop. 

Going by the asking price it must be very rare indeed!

cheers

https://www.sportsandclassics.com/parts/triumph/triumph-tr6/engine-parts-triumph-tr6/1973-1976-triumph-tr6-oil-pan-new-old-stock/

ok to clear up my post the plug is on the side on my sump as well but at the rear of the fump like the one in the link, maybe if I bash out the dings I can sell it for a grand and buy a new soft-top :P:D

20 hours ago, Andrew Smith said:

Hi Alan,

I see you've got a TR6 now B) - what prompted that acquisition? :)

Do you still have the 'Smurf'....?

Cheers, Andrew

Hi Andrew

yep I purchased a us tr6 as it was very cheap as it was sold with the motor seized. Turned out to be the water pump was broken and the fan belt was so tight it was stopping the motor turning.still a bit of work to do as it hasn’t run since the 90’s but solid original car with no rust but a few dents. Still have smurfette and have been told by my wife and kids that I am never allowed to sell her.

809AF862-F759-428C-8395-170544420D79.jpeg

13 hours ago, Kiwifrog said:

Hi Andrew

yep I purchased a us tr6 as it was very cheap as it was sold with the motor seized. Turned out to be the water pump was broken and the fan belt was so tight it was stopping the motor turning.still a bit of work to do as it hasn’t run since the 90’s but solid original car with no rust but a few dents. Still have smurfette and have been told by my wife and kids that I am never allowed to sell her.

809AF862-F759-428C-8395-170544420D79.jpeg

Well done Alan, looks like you`ll have fun with that. Always nice to find a bargain these days

Stuart.

6 hours ago, stuart said:

Well done Alan, looks like you`ll have fun with that. Always nice to find a bargain these days

Stuart.

Thanks Stuart I am happy with it, i think i will just tidy it up a bit and use it, dents misalignments and all

5 hours ago, Andrew Smith said:

Nice project Alan, hopefully it'll be a straight forward recommissioning and you'll be bestowing that straight-six howl on the locals in the Spring.

Cheers, Andrew

I will have to Andrew, they haven't been terrorised since the first time you owned VUX :P

7 hours ago, Kiwifrog said:

Thanks Stuart I am happy with it, i think i will just tidy it up a bit and use it, dents misalignments and all

I will have to Andrew, they haven't been terrorised since the first time you owned VUX :P

Great memory Alan - holding VUX in 2nd or 3rd gear, prodding the accelerator and bouncing the exhaust note off the village buildings was a blast, literally! :D