Power Steering into TR4-6

Thanks "badhuis"...I was hoping for a specific answer on CDD's rack. What vehicle does it come from?

EPS [rack & pinion] is also of interest. Is there a particular rack that has the same length rack/pivot points as the TR rack.

I don't know,

my advice: with some time looking at offers and descritions at ebay and compare you could find out.

But with a look on the parts delivered with the set I would not go this way for a DIY project.

Ciao, Marco

Edited by Z320

Somebody else recently posted a question about fitting power steering to their TR6  and my advice was don't bother - unless there is a medical reason for needing power assistance.  If the steering feels too heavy and particularly at low  or parking speeds then  there are other things you should be looking at first. 

The fitment of oversized wheels and tyres is usually the biggest culprit and do check your tyre pressures too.  Having underinflated tyres wont help.  After that jack the front of the car up so the wheels are off the ground and spin the steering wheel over lock to lock.  it should rotate freely and easily. If it doesn't then there is a problem with the rack. 

If you are determined to fit PAS then you will need to find space for the fluid reservoir and need an new pulley and belt fitted to enable the PAS pump to be driven.  Take a look at a Stag  first to see what's involved  and no doubt you could use Stag bits to do the conversion. 

Also check out this link and post on the tr6 forum about PAS 

https://www.classicdrivingdevelopment.co.uk/cats.asp?cID=6&carID=3&page=TR6+POWER+ASSISTED+STEERING

Hope this helps. 

Hoges. 

Edited by Paul Hogan
additional info
16 hours ago, Malbaby said:

Thanks "badhuis"...I was hoping for a specific answer on CDD's rack. What vehicle does it come from?

EPS [rack & pinion] is also of interest. Is there a particular rack that has the same length rack/pivot points as the TR rack.

Sorry Malbaby - I did not look at the site of CDD and falsely presumed it would be a EPS. But it is not, it is a hydraulic rack and pinion setup. No idea where that comes from. 

This is an "easy" DIY project if you own a lathe or have a good friend with a lathe.

You may know my ESP post from 2 years ago and I think about the possibility to do it with less effort.

As long you don't need a sterring lock. And this is the way EZ Powersteering sells it for our TRs.

3 hours ago, Z320 said:

This is an "easy" DIY project if you own a lathe or have a good friend with a lathe.

You may know my ESP post from 2 years ago and I think about the possibility to do it with less effort.

As long you don't need a sterring lock. And this is the way EZ Powersteering sells it for our TRs.

That’s the company I was thinking of. Doh !

they do a system that fits the Daimler sp250 which is where I heard of them. 

Hi Marco, for various reasons, age being one, I am thinking about Electric Power Steering, do you have the information readily avalable?, I understand from earlier posts that EZ Powersteering in the UK are the not the best people to deal with and as most parts are readily available and I have a brother with precision engineering shop, I am happy to have a go, and all help would be greatly appreciated, thanks, Andrew

A recent Wheeler Dealer edition did up a Honda S2000. The power steering was all contained within the rack as it seemed to be a sophisticated electric motor. No mention of pumps, pulleys etc. Could be adapted to fir I'm sure. I imagine width of an S2000 about the same as a TR so size not an issue.

Keith

1 minute ago, keithm said:

A recent Wheeler Dealer edition did up a Honda S2000. The power steering was all contained within the rack as it seemed to be a sophisticated electric motor. No mention of pumps, pulleys etc. Could be adapted to fir I'm sure. I imagine width of an S2000 about the same as a TR so size not an issue.

Keith

One way to find out https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-S2000-AP1-AP2-RHD-Steering-Rack-EPAS-Electric-Power-Steering-Rack-99-09/233757609789?hash=item366d0a0f3d:g:pKAAAOSwHHtfldUG

Stuart.

Thanks Guys...

EPAS for steering column...there are cheaper ways of making one other than the "EZ" that is commercially available. eg...modifying the MGF or Ford Fiesta units. The problem with any modified column is that it would require "Engineering Certification" here in Australia, and I was trying to avoid that requirement.

The Honda EPAS rack looks like a very good option, [presume it comes with a separate ECU]. I would think that the Honda has a wider track than our TR's. Does anyone know the length of the rack [tie rod pivot to pivot] in comparison with the TR rack.

Does the rack on the Honda fit in the same position as a TR rack 

ie. in front of the axle centre or behind it.

Get it wrong and you will steer left and go right.

Austin Morris did this trick deliberately -  Morris Minor RHD (rack mounted behind the axle centre line)  has the same rack as a LHD Austin Healey Sprite. (rack mounted ahead of the axle centre line)

Peter W