Triumph reproduction panels - take heart !

Not entirely TR related, but many complain about the quality of TR panels but which might pale into insignificance when faced with this panel!

It’s a Morris Minor van front crossmember which has 4 bolts each side for the lever arm dampers. My dividers show the difference between centres of the mounting bolt threads on the original and reproduction. Obviously it’s a very critical mounting for both ride height and camber since the lever arm is attached to the top trunnion. The threaded plates are also welded in position on the back so no adjustment. The odd thing is the pressing itself looks fairly decent, but quite how they can manufacture a panel this badly is beyond me! Needless to say it is going back, I’ll have a refund of £68, and I’ll repair the original. 

Kevin

D609042D-0079-45B4-8088-804B9A24670A.jpeg

C0BBC769-4F7E-4D95-84F7-1E2A1A5A0676.jpeg

EF20C9DD-64D0-44C7-B23E-4773E53D388C.jpeg

F8CB42E5-4591-4D01-AE7B-644D36D6B327.jpeg

55DEA33E-4F72-4277-843A-2BBDEC27B33F.jpeg

E2BB469E-CCE0-49FE-9B63-C51A2965D9EC.jpeg

I think maybe the price you quote is the key Kevin. How on earth do you think they could produce a good and accurate part, ship it halfway round the world, add on profit and tax and only charge that much?  Something has to give somewhere. 

3 hours ago, Richardtr3a said:

Why do they fail to measure the parts properly before making and selling them?  Insufficient supervision in the factory ?? or wrong specification from the seller.

Richard & B

That defies all logic! And I appreciate Rob it’s not overly expensive but had it been £98 I would probably have still bought it as I wasn’t budget panel hunting. 

Not fit for purpose and you can’t even bolt a damper to it, not to mention which of the two holes shown are in the right place!

You would think at least use a jig made from something like 1/2” steel plate with 4 holes drilled in it! I know we have to fettle some panels but with 4 steel mounting brackets MIG welded to the panel, grinding those off would not do the panel any favours either. It’s a panel spoilt for a ha’peth of tar.

Kevin

Edited by boxofbits