TR2 drum to TR6 disc brakes

2 hours ago, Graham J said:

on the topic of Overdrive....

the OD gearbox i have is TS3900.  i have not researched it yet, but I am guessing this will be an early non-synchro 1 st gear unit.

Graham.

Synchro didn't arrive until the TR4. The later TR3B, which was a purely US beast although some have made their way out of the US, also had the later gearbox. TR2. 3 and 3A had non synchro 1st.

• 2 weeks later...

I've come late into this post. I own an early TR3 built in October '55 which is kitted out as standard including drum brakes with standard linings all round, Laycock rear axle and standard overdrive and original dynamo. I have owned this car for 28 years having rebuilt it on acquisition from a complete but barn find wreck.

Since its rebuild it it has been used regularly every year on club events and has done numerous trips with my local group including extended long distance tours of Ireland, Wales, and Cornwall. Last year it did over 3000 miles in ten days on the LBL during which it went up and down numerous mountain passes including the Stelvio which it did in both directions.

Prior to my ownership it had been a privateer rallycar competing in the 1956 Alpine Rally where it finished 4th in Class, winning a Coupe des Alpes, the 1956 Liege-Rome-Liege rally finishing 18th overall, the '57 Tulip rally and several others all equipped as standard.

My experience with the brakes and back axle is that properly maintained they are perfectly adequate and have never given me any problems despite some very spirited driving. I've found there's very little difference to my TR4 which has similar use.

Cheers,

JEFF

LBL Brescia.jpg

Edited by JeffR
add photo