front suspension rebuild

Having fitted the front springs the bottom wishbones are now fully extended down and are in contact with the steering stops on the trunnions. I would like to fit the shock absorbers next, but with little weight on the chassis at this stage I wonder if anyone can suggest how this can be achieved or must I defer this until the engine is fitted?

Thanks in anticipation

Mike

IMG_3535.jpg

Think I did it the way Roger suggests and extended the shocker to its max. 

Andy

12 hours ago, RogerH said:

Hi Mike,

if you compress the spring, you can then put a steel bar under the top wish bones sitting on the suspension turret.

That may help

Roger

But you still wont be able to get the steel bar out. Best just leave the shocks out until there`s enough weight on.

Stuart.

Means a bit of dismantling, but as everything is fresh and clean it's not to bad,  .. take off the top swivel joint and the bottom trunnion, put bolts and nuts through both top and bottom and using a hefty spring compressor squeeze the spring until you can fit the shock, then finish off fitting the top and bottom joints, at  least that's how I did it fitting to a bare chassis.

Cheers Rob 

Better leave it until you have enough weight in there as you really dont want to be messing with springs!

Stuart.

Anyway you go, wait with tightening the bushes until the suspension is in it’s final position (but this may be less relevant if you have installed poly bushes?)

Waldi

This is how it done on a Swallow Doretti which is more tricky as the lower bump stop bracket is welded onto the chassis but the suspension cross brace is mounted lower down and comes in handy.

Cheers Richard

DSCN1800.JPG

1 hour ago, Mike JOnes said:

I am on poly bushes

It basically depends on wether the bushes are clamped (compressed) or can rotate freely. It the latter case you don’t need to consider this.

Waldi