Donington Historic Festival 2021

Donington have announced the dates for the 2021 Historic Festival as the 1st and 2nd May 2021. We have registered the club for this event and the Leicestershire TR Group will once again play host to members and enthusiasts from all over the country. Details of discounted tickets have not been announced yet so I will update the website and this forum once we have more details. This is usually before the end of the year.

https://www.tr-register.co.uk/event/2021/05/2164/Donington-Historic-Festival-1st-and-2nd-May-2021

Mick

• 1 month later...

Hi all, just received the following message from the DHF Car Club organiser:

"I wanted to let you know that we are putting Early Bird tickets on sale today, which give members of the general public access to advance discounted tickets. You can view our news story here: http://www.doningtonhistoric.com/news/early-bird-discounted-2021-tickets-now-on-sale/.

We are now working on the club booking system, updating everything for 2021, and I will contact you as soon as we are ready to take official club registrations, after which you will be able to fully register your club for the 2021 event. I will then be able to set up the 50% discount system for your club's members, which will apply to all tickets, including the Early Bird tickets.

You may receive queries from your members who are keen not to miss out on the Early Bird discounts - please assure them that, once we can take club bookings, they will be able to take advantage of the club 50% discount, including on the Early Bird bookings!"

Their website suggests that early-bird discounts apply through to end of January 2021. The weekend early bird cost is £35 so £17.50 with our discount code, once we get it. Looks a bit like chicken and egg, so I guess we wait a bit.

Mick

Thanks Mick, but unfortunately we will not be able to attend this time as we are booked on the Traws weekend as 

it’s the same weekend. For others looking for a day or two out the Donnington weekend it is is well worth a visit. It is a well run event and you can get up close and personal to the race cars and drivers. Also the Leicestershire TR group make a good coffee.

Mike Redrose group 

• 2 weeks later...

We have now received the club's 50% discount code. I have updated the DHF webpage: https://www.tr-register.co.uk/event/2021/05/2164/Donington-Historic-Festival-1st-and-2nd-May-2021 to provide access to the code and booking instructions via the members only section of the website. 

See you at Donington.

Mick

• 2 months later...

Just received the following email:

Dear Car Club Organiser

The Government's announcement of the roadmap out of lockdown inevitably raised some questions about motorsport events taking place in early May, but I am delighted to confirm that it's all systems go for our event, and we are really looking forward to welcoming your club members to Donington Park on 1 & 2 May – the Donington Historic Festival’s 10th anniversary!

With spectators now confirmed and tickets back on sale today, there is still time for your members to enjoy their 50% club discount on our Early Bird ticket savings - this extra-special discount will end at 23:59 this Sunday, 14 March, after which your members can still get the 50% discount on our standard advance tickets until the car club booking deadline of 17:00 on Sunday, 25 April.

Please note, there will be no on the day ticket sales - tickets are now only available to purchase in advance.

We are aware that some of your members will have booked hotel accommodation before the Roadmap out of lockdown was announced and, of course, hotels and B&Bs are not permitted to open for leisure guests until 17 May. If this impacts on any of your members - i.e. if they are now unable to use the tickets they have booked for DHF 2021 or if they can only come on one day rather than both, please ask them to email request@msv.com to discuss a full or partial refund.

With best wishes

Karen

• 3 weeks later...

A brief update. DHF has issues the attached COVID guidelines for this event. Please note there is no access to the paddock, pits or garages this year to reduce the concentration of people in these usually busy areas. In past years, the Leicestershire TR Group have provided a gazebo, tea, coffee etc. for members but will not be doing so this year but some of our members will still be in the TR reserved parking area to welcome you to the event. I will be there on the Saturday. There will be some food take-away vans etc. on-site but bringing a picnic might be a good idea.

See you at Donington,

Mick

DHF Spectators.pdf

Apparently, there has been a bit of confusion over how to book ticket to ensure you get both an entrance ticket AND the infield parking pass. DHF have kindly provided the following info specific to us.

Mick

TR Register 2021 club booking procedure .docx

Sadly, I have just received the following update:

Dear Car Club Organisers

I am immensely disappointed and very sorry to have to let you know that new guidance was issued by government yesterday- Tuesday 6 April - which contradicts the previous position that spectators would be permitted at non-elite sport events from Step Two of the roadmap (12 April onwards). As a result of yesterday's announcement, the 2021 Donington Historic Festival can now only be run behind closed doors, with only essential personnel attending.

Whilst outdoor attractions like zoos and theme parks can reopen, and events such as boot fairs, steam rallies and food festivals can take place with up to 4,000 visitors per day, a specific ban has now been applied to spectators at sport events until 17 May. This means that all events due to take place between 12 April and 17 May will have to be run behind closed doors.

Those of you and your members who have already booked will, along with all other affected customers, be contacted by email by Donington Park's operators, MSV, with options on how to manage your booking - including obtaining refunds. You can read more about this here: http://news.msv.com/statement-5-march.aspx

Once again, I am so very sorry and disappointed to have to give you this news. I can only hope that we can see each other again next year.

Just heard that the snooker World Championship will be played in front of a capacity crowd indoors at the Crucible on 03 May.

The decision to ban spectators at an out doorevent , where there is very limited formal seating, where evidence of outdoor transmission is scant, seems all the more bizarre.

Rant over....

Miles