Progress and handbrake help please.

Some pics of progress i.e., fuel pipe routing, still need a separator of some kind to lift fuel pipe above the heater steel pipe.

Fuel tank and screen in, alternator wiring done, using old box which is stripped out. I have the handbrake but no "Hole" in the floor, has anyone a template I could Borrow to mark out the

right spot for the hole please, pump works very well in its position but fuel pouring from the rear Stromberg, imagine the float valve but it will have to come off sadly.

also if anyone has an alloy rocker cover at a decent price, let me know please.

P1080168.jpg

P1080169.jpg

P1080171.jpg

P1080172.jpg

Is there bracketry already on the chassis to which the handbrake lever may be attached?

If not, and you don't want to weld under there, you could go for a lever mounted atop the prop shaft tunnel, as on the TR4A and, prior to that, on the Works' TR4 Rally cars - have a look at Revington's site.

Ian Cornish

Edited by ianc

Have you considered shifting the electronic fuel pump to the rear near the tank and re routing the fuel line away from the heater pipe.

Also fitting the handbrake to the trans tunnel.

Edited by Malbaby

Also if you haven't already shelled out for a new one it might be an idea to swap the original diaphragm type heater valve for the much better and more positive Everco type as widely covered on here.

Tim

59 minutes ago, Geko said:

An hydraulic handbrake would be a sensible mod 

Not legal on UK road car.

Stuart

I think it’s legal as long as you retain the original handbrake too. 
I know of a local TR4 with an additional hydraulic handbrake mounted on the propshaft tunnel and slaved in to the rear brake line. 

On 11/9/2020 at 12:53 PM, Drewmotty said:

I think it’s legal as long as you retain the original handbrake too. 
I know of a local TR4 with an additional hydraulic handbrake mounted on the propshaft tunnel and slaved in to the rear brake line. 

I've seen at least one historic rally car (not a TR, an Alfa I think) with a 'switchable' hydraulic/cable handbrake so you can set it to cable for normal road use. But I'm not sure how that is contrived to work. 

I do not know if it is correct or not but I was told to keep the fuel pipe away from any heat like the engine block or the heat would transfer to the fuel pipe and boil the fuel.  The original TR set up with the pipe crossing the front of the engine below the thermostat housing leaves a lot to be desired as far as cool fuel is concerned. 

As your fuel pipe is clipped to the heater water return pipe does this work OK when the engine is hot?

Cheers

Peter W

Pete

I encased my fuel line , pump to carbs , in tubing to cut down the heat transference. My TR4 ( Stromberg carb car ) resto

was a few years ago now but it was something like this

https://www.demon-tweeks.com/uk/design-engineering-heat-sheath-aluminium-sleeving-242405/

other Suppliers are available , etc. It was a fit and forget solution as far as I was concerned.

12 hours ago, NickKerfoot said:

The rationale behind a hydraulic handbrake being not legal is that there is no direct mechanical linkage to the wheels?

If so, how are moderns with electric handbrake road legal?

I think modern parking brakes are still electro-mechanical, rather than hydraulic - they either pull a cable or activate electric motors on the rear calipers. 

The MOT manual says:

Electronic parking brakes must be maintained in operation by direct mechanical means, even though they are applied electronically. However, the mechanism for keeping the brakes applied is usually within brake calliper or motor gear assembly and therefore not easy to see.

Hydraulic parking brakes as an only means of operation are not acceptable on vehicles first used on or after 1 January 1968. However, they may be used to assist the application or release of a mechanical brake.

I would take that to mean that my car (1962) would not fail MOT if it had a hydraulic handbrake, but a post-1967 car would.

Nigel

Edited by Bleednipple