TR4/4A window winder mechanism rebuild

Hi Guys,

My stiff window winder mechanism was eventually found to be the drive cog in the winder being stiff owing to a build up of grease / rust.

Before buying a repro thought I would drill out the rivets and clean and rebuild it to see if it would work better. Now runs smoothly, but how to get the large coil spring back into position?

Before I spend hours trying to reinvent a method of doing this, can anybody point me in the direction of a article on the web that covers this. Bullfire only seems to cover refurbing the channels although I'm guessing the TR6 mechanism is similar. Must be a description  of how to refurbished this mechanism, so many TR4's out there.

Thanks 

Rich

The spring is almost loose at the end of the winder travel so it just drops out (and in).

It only comes under tension as you turn the winder. At least that's my recollection.

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

No, the mechanism stops the winder being wound off the gearing which is what would have to happen to release the spring tension. I have managed to reassemble the spring by winding the spring into a tight coil using my lathe, difficult to explain how, and then retained it under tension with a  tube pushed over it with the retaining loop poking through the side. (see photo)

It could then be located in position on the winder mechanism and the tube carefully pulled off. Worked well, all back in the car now and problem solved.

Rich

20201108_142355.jpg