Redex petrol system cleaner

Can anyone give a view on using the redex cleaner for a 2.5 pi tr6. Just bought the car and getting used to it and its quite rough on tickover. I've had a local triumph expert reset the timing, replaced an injector and plugs. I'm thinking of treating it to the redex sytem cleaner but want to be sure its not going to do more harm than good. Thanks.

I have used it in mine on several occasions following a longer than expected lay up and had no issues.

I tend to put it in go for a short run to get it through the system , leave over night and then have a good long countryside run the next day.

I'm sure others will have a different view but it has worked for me,

Brian

The Redex may well work.

However 'Honest John' in the Telegraph suggests using quality petrol - Shell Texaco, Esso...........) . This will clean and keep clean the system.

The lower grades of fuel and manufacture may contain too much heavy stuff in it.

Roger

Adding a little Redex will also provide additional lubrication for the fuel pump and metering unit internals, probably helpful if the car is ever laid up for a few months. I've added 2-stroke oil in my TR6 PI at at about 200:1 in the fuel if I know it won't be used for a while, and never had a a problem when eventually it's woken up and restarted. The oil may even reduce corrosion inside the fuel tank, though I've no evidence to back this up.

Nigel

12 minutes ago, Nigel Triumph said:

Adding a little Redex will also provide additional lubrication for the fuel pump and metering unit internals, probably helpful if the car is ever laid up for a few months. I've added 2-stroke oil in my TR6 PI at at about 200:1 in the fuel if I know it won't be used for a while, and never had a a problem when eventually it's woken up and restarted. The oil may even reduce corrosion inside the fuel tank, though I've no evidence to back this up.

Nigel

+And me. I pour any left over 2-Stroke mix from my strimmer/hedge cutter into my TR fuel tank at the end of the season. Never had a problem on spring start up? I am still on the original fuel tank which is 47 years old?

Bruce.

My MOT tester always suggest running a tank of Shell V-power through any car ahead of its MOT as it is by far the best petrol for cleaning out a fuel system.  It is the fuel I always use in my Z3M, this is a 19 year 6 cylinder 3.2l, 326 BHP car, and is particularly finicky on petrol.  

Must admit V-Power was my choice, but, following a long and informed thread on this forum, moved to Esso Synergy.

The V-Power has ethanol added, whereas here in the South, we were reliably informed the Synergy hadn't.

Where you lived dictated which refinery your fuel comes from and in some areas, Synergy has ethanol added, so some searching on here would be in order.

Note

If my memory serves, it's the MU that suffers with ethanol . . . . 

I along with a few others in my village volunteer to cut the grass in our grave yard and it normally falls to me to get the rather ancient and motley collection of mowers going in the spring after the winter layup.

They all will refuse to start even with a new plug and fresh petrol untill a liberal squirt of carb cleaner is shot through the carb which I assume clears the build up of waxey gunge from the rather small jets. After this they will run all summer without a hitch.

Although a TR is probably more robust and will start and run with a bit of crud in the fuel system it can only be good to use a cleaner, either sprayed in the choke or added to the tank, to aid reliably especially with the quality of modern fuel.

George 

11 hours ago, wjgco said:

Must admit V-Power was my choice, but, following a long and informed thread on this forum, moved to Esso Synergy.

The V-Power has ethanol added, whereas here in the South, we were reliably informed the Synergy hadn't.

Where you lived dictated which refinery your fuel comes from and in some areas, Synergy has ethanol added, so some searching on here would be in order.

Note

If my memory serves, it's the MU that suffers with ethanol . . . . 

Yes Esso Synergy Supreme (now 99Ron), is my normal fuel for the TR4A , Shell V-power for my BMW Z3M, as the V-power is recognised as the very best petrol for cleaning the fuel systems, especially injectors.

Synergy Supreme 99+ fuel has ethanol added in Devon, Cornwall, the Teesside area and in Scotland according to Esso.

By law regular Esso Synergy 95 Ron will contain ethanol, only super-unleaded premium fuels are not required to have ethanol added and Esso specifically states that it does not add ethanol to its Synergy Supreme, except in the specified areas.   Shell refuse to say if V-Power has ethanol or not, so I assume it does.

Edited by Colin Symonds
1 hour ago, Colin Symonds said:

Yes Esso Synergy Supreme (now 99Ron), is my normal fuel for the TR4A , Shell V-power for my BMW Z3M, as the V-power is recognised as the very best petrol for cleaning the fuel systems, especially injectors.

Synergy Supreme 99+ fuel has ethanol added in Devon, Cornwall, the Teesside area and in Scotland according to Esso.

By law regular Esso Synergy 95 Ron will contain ethanol, only super-unleaded premium fuels are not required to have ethanol added and Esso specifically states that it does not add ethanol to its Synergy Supreme, except in the specified areas.   Shell refuse to say if V-Power has ethanol or not, so I assume it does.

A Shell tanker driver told me that V-Power does not always have ethanol added? It is only added when the tanker is 2/3rds full. I live in the South East and all the Shell pumps show ethanol has been added??

Bruce.

9 minutes ago, astontr6 said:

A Shell tanker driver told me that V-Power does not always have ethanol added? It is only added when the tanker is 2/3rds full. I live in the South East and all the Shell pumps show ethanol has been added??

Bruce.

Even a petrol that never has ethanol added like Esso Synergy Supreme will show the E5 symbol on the pump by law, this stands for <5%, so could be anywhere from 0-5%.  As I said, Shell have refused to say whether V-Power has ethanol or not, I guess sometimes it does, and sometimes it doesn't.  Esso positively state that Synergy Supreme does not have ethanol except in certain areas. 

https://www.esso.co.uk/en-gb/fuels/petrol

Edited by Colin Symonds
15 hours ago, StuartG said:

I run my TR6 regularly throughout the winter on dry salt free days, usually about every two weeks, so never lay it up as such. Plus it loves the cold winter air !

I'm with Stuart , get the 6 out for a run whenever possible !

I am also a fan of redex.

when i ran a couple of tankfuls of Redex dosed fuel through my 6 it made a noticeable difference to the way the engine ran, which i put down to it cleaning some crud out from the innards of the fuel system. for the price it's worth a try ?

steve

On 11/8/2020 at 11:56 PM, harlequin said:

I along with a few others in my village volunteer to cut the grass in our grave yard and it normally falls to me to get the rather ancient and motley collection of mowers going in the spring after the winter layup.

They all will refuse to start even with a new plug and fresh petrol untill a liberal squirt of carb cleaner is shot through the carb which I assume clears the build up of waxey gunge from the rather small jets. After this they will run all summer without a hitch.

Although a TR is probably more robust and will start and run with a bit of crud in the fuel system it can only be good to use a cleaner, either sprayed in the choke or added to the tank, to aid reliably especially with the quality of modern fuel.

George 

Hi George!

Give those lawn mowers a squirt of 'easy start' in their carbs! It works wonders on lawn mowers!!!

Bruce.

8 hours ago, astontr6 said:

Hi George!

Give those lawn mowers a squirt of 'easy start' in their carbs! It works wonders on lawn mowers!!!

Bruce.

We have 3 old wrecks of mowers of various sizes to do different areas, the 2 bigger ones have simple no frills Briggs engine's that just run and run. The small job is by comparison fairly new and has an OHV engine from somewhere in the far east that is constantly playing up, I would happily pour a gallon of 'easy start' over it and blow it up.

George