Triple SU manifold set up.

1 hour ago, Tom Fremont said:

If triple SUs or Strombergs would get it done why did TRIUMPH go with the LUCAS P.I.? 

If memory serves a version of the 2 liter six in a Michelotti prototype had triple SUs. 6206VC

Tom

As a 4 cylinder man it's only what I heard but I was always told the PI helped the emissions and kept the camshaft under control, and of course being Lucas it was cheaper than alternatives. ?

Mick Richards

12 hours ago, Motorsport Mickey said:

As a 4 cylinder man it's only what I heard but I was always told the PI helped the emissions and kept the camshaft under control, and of course being Lucas it was cheaper than alternatives. ?

Mick Richards

But PI never went to the US back in the day as it wouldnt pass US emission laws.

Stuart.

53 minutes ago, stuart said:

But PI never went to the US back in the day as it wouldnt pass US emission laws.

Stuart.

Sorry Stuart , I forgot Tom was in the US, I was talking UK emissions.

Mick Richards

Webers are pretty good with emissions; short of EFI they may get top ranking. I had a '79 FIAT here in the 'States with one and it didn't need a catalytic converter to comply with regulations where most everything else did. 

It was always the CP cam which wouldn't pass U.S. limits; the CR cam which was used in later emissions TR6 might have done better in that respect with Webers but the 9.5:1 c/r might have doomed it too. No point running 6 throttles with less than that! 

Tom

Edited by Tom Fremont