TR5 Instrument Bezels

Hi Dave, they are definitely black.

Tim

IMG_5779s.thumb.JPG.260f7f5fb7bf171067285fd0f0d08cf6.JPGIMG_1987s.thumb.JPG.f6566852dc8fd0944be7cc27dded796f.JPG

Hi Dave,

I sanded my tr6-CP bezels which are the same with #400 and gave them a couple of coats with a good quality rattle can satin black, they are nice and as original.

Cheers,

Waldi

30 minutes ago, saffrontr said:

Dash screws, cup washers, glove box hinges and lock were shiny on the TR5 and for most of the 1969 model TR6. These miscellaneous fittings went black after that.

Derek 

Interesting ? having owned three untouched fives two were black one shiny. ( screws and washers ).

The black screws and cups as well as cubby lock and hinges were all different part numbers on the CC & CP series TR6 from the TR5/250.

Have a look at all of the road tests, and press photos for the TR5 / 250 and they all show up as shiny barring of course the bezels, which was Dave's original query, which are of course black . 

Derek

57 minutes ago, saffrontr said:

The black screws and cups as well as cubby lock and hinges were all different part numbers on the CC & CP series TR6 from the TR5/250.

Have a look at all of the road tests, and press photos for the TR5 / 250 and they all show up as shiny barring of course the bezels, which was Dave's original query, which are of course black . 

Derek

Interestingly Derek I note in Bill Piggott's book 'Original Triumph TR4/4A/5/6' (p49) whereby he refers to the 5 & 250 as having 'Dashboard screws should be black' but the image on same page illustrates one 5 with shiny screws.

The book also refers to the ammeter as being Lucas and remaining gauges as 'Smiths' instead of Jaegar. All have black bezels as suggested by others on this thread.

Mike and all,

More than happy to stand corrected on this aspect and it could just be that the press photos and road test cars had the shiny fittings. Attached is a typical Triumph press photo this one of the TR250.  

cheers

Derek  

img265.jpg

Mine is black gauges , smiths with a lucas amp.With chrome screws and cups.

Press photo shows a heavy pattern on the wood grain dash. Only seen this on aftermarket dashes. 

Roy

Factory never had any money so they would always use whatever they had or could obtain so its quite likely that they were using up whatever stock was available.

Stuart.

47 minutes ago, stuart said:

Factory never had any money so they would always use whatever they had or could obtain so its quite likely that they were using up whatever stock was available.

Stuart.

Thanks Stuart,

I have someone that helps me out with more in depth stuff on my 5, he did his apprenticeship with Lucas in the 60s in North London and says the same about the parts used!

Mike

10 hours ago, Andy Moltu said:

Definately black all the way from TR% to the end of the CP TR6s.

The CR 6s reverted to chrome finish.

Chrome was certainly incorporated into the CR TR6 gauge bezels Andy, but the inner face retained a matt black finish to try and prevent reflections up to the windscreen at night. The bezel profile changed too. The image below grabbed from internet shows the dual finish. (We know this is a CR gauge as the rev limit is 5800 and not 5500 as per CP engine).

Bob

CR Speedo & Tacho.jpg

On 11/6/2020 at 2:49 PM, MikeThomas said:

The book also refers to the ammeter as being Lucas and remaining gauges as 'Smiths' instead of Jaegar. All have black bezels as suggested by others on this thread.

On 11/6/2020 at 4:27 PM, roy53 said:

Mine is black gauges , smiths with a lucas amp.With chrome screws and cups.

Roy

Thanks for the comments about dash screws/cups and glove box hinges and lock being black as well as the instrument bezels. I'll have to look at these small detail items, which are currently packed away with everything else, when I came to reassemble the car. I can't remember what the cups and screws were but the car was restored previously in 1993/94 for the previous owner so may not be original anyway. What I am pretty sure of is that the glove box lock is chrome and also fitted with the finger pull, which I think is a TR4 fitting.

Dave McD 

On 11/5/2020 at 6:33 PM, Waldi said:

Hi Dave,

I sanded my tr6-CP bezels which are the same with #400 and gave them a couple of coats with a good quality rattle can satin black, they are nice and as original.

Cheers,

Waldi

Hi Waldi,

Apart from my bezels being a little dull with only minor scratches, the instruments are in good condition and all working correctly. Other than having the speedo recalibrated to suit a different tyre size, I'm reluctant to spend the cash for professional instrument restoration, so I'm interested in just smartening up the bezels.

Was it difficult to remove the bezels to clean and paint?

Presumably when you do remove the bezel it also releases the glass giving you the chance to clean the glass? 

When reassembling the glass and bezel is there any sort of special sealant to use?

Any tips would be welcome please.

Dave McD