Rear Quarter panel

Having sorted out the rear apron I am now looking to fit the rear o/s quarter panel. Once again problems it does not fit and I notice it is a different shape from the panel that was on. The lip that folds round the B post is not deep enough and where the panel mates with the inner quarter panel at the top it is actaully a different shape. The original, perhaps thats the wrong word, I should say the panel taken off is flat where it mates with the inner panel and the top of both panels were seam welded at the very edge. The new panel is shaped with no flat edge and it does not fit flush with the inner panel. I have tried to show this in the photos. So my question is should the outer panel be flat where it meets the inner panel so that it can be spot welded or does it have a curvature? I have shown a picture of the panel on the other side, although it looks as though its curved where it has the paint worn it is actually flat.

P1090778.JPG

P1090782.JPG

P1090783.JPG

P1090784.JPG

P1090787.JPG

That panel is totally wrong, where did it come from? Send it back as not fit for purpose.

Stuart.

The one you want is either genuine NOS Standard Triumph or Cox & Buckles item that was made on a Rubber Press in Berkshire. Both are in the hen's teeth area of obtainability.  That said they do turn up as we bought a pair at the last International.

The latest pressing from somewhere else in the world are too flat and therefore wrong profile according to NDM.  The thing you have looks like a 'repair panel' rather than a finish skin panel.

Peter W

The panel came from Bastuck, they were recommended. It looks exacly the same as the one supplied  by Rimmers. The moss one is the same shape (I think the photos are not good) but does not have the captive nuts on it as these should be on the inner panel. I dont think the panel is too flat, just the opposit, the one removed was "flatter" at the edge where it meets the inner panel along the top.  Revington do not show a photo are these any better? or are they all the same? Given that NOS panels are hens teeth which is the best of a bad jobP1090788.thumb.JPG.3f5e6ebd2e32bb0541748889333dd9f2.JPG?

P1090789.JPG

looks like the top of the replacement part is bent over it should be flat then spot weld to the inner piece, other wise it kinda looks right, you may need to add steel to the top of the panel as it kinda looks a bit short at the elbow capping point above the door, would it help if i send you a picture of the same area on my car.

I have the other side to work to, but I dont know if it is original as the car was "restored" in the early 1990s so yes a photo would be good. The bit that seems wrong is from where the top lip curves down to the flat above the "B" pillar. It was perfectly flat on the old panel but the new one has a curve to the edge. The bit that folds round the "B" pillar can be sorted.

Thanks in advance

Phil

i also think the reason the top part is bent at an angle is the same one that was on my car namely because i think the elbow capping piece that you fit to finish off the trim will not fit due to the panel sitting to high so at the factory they hammered it over, needless to say i hammered mine flat again.

There was originally two different versions of this panel they differ in two ways. The return into the "B" post on early cars is as you have there but the early "B" post has a deeper return on the shut face to accept it and it was then leaded in so you didnt see the join. Later cars had a single right angle return on the panel and a smaller return on the "B" post. Second difference is is the way the panel joins to the rear deck, early cars had a joddled return that slipped under the rear deck and then was leaded over so you didnt see the join.  so looking at yours it is correct in those areas for an early car but the area from the curve upwards after the horizontal section from top of the "B" post is definitely wrong it should just curve in slightly so it can be spot welded to the inner. They are often battered over part way up to allow the capping to fit correctly

Stuart.

2 minutes ago, R.M. said:

ditch the curve and hammer it flat, i will send a photo of mine, bear in mind my one is post TS60000 but i don't think it's much different.

See my above comment on the difference between early and late cars.

Stuart.

Thanks for the comments. Your photos confirm the n/s is right and this is what the panel I took off was like. I will modify the panel to that it can be spot welded on. As you say there is a trim which hides this joint.

The panel I took off had a simple right angle and was seam welded into the other angle, I will trim this panel and do the same.

Thanks Guys a big help.

17 minutes ago, Phil Read said:

Thanks for the comments. Your photos confirm the n/s is right and this is what the panel I took off was like. I will modify the panel to that it can be spot welded on. As you say there is a trim which hides this joint.

The panel I took off had a simple right angle and was seam welded into the other angle, I will trim this panel and do the same.

Thanks Guys a big help.

Your welcome.