4 cyl crank oil seal

can anyone help me find the very detailed and well photoed artical on fitting the Christian Marx oil seal.

spent ages on the search but nothing. Think it was posted by BFG

Roy

18 minutes ago, Lebro said:

Is the TRshop offering the same as this one? & do have to modify the housing or is a new one supplied ?

Bob.

No mods needed except perhaps the length of the flywheel bolts. They protrude through the crank flange and may touch the seal. 

As an aside I thought you may have converted your own existing seal.  
http://www.tr4-racing.de/download/splitseal.pdf

Cheers

Peter W

Hi Roy,

I don't recon you will get the seal conversion kit made by Bastuck any cheaper than £89.50 from the TRShop. You also have the option to effectively 'hire' the alignment tool by purchasing and getting a 50% refund when returning it. I did this as it was 'simples' :D.

Cheers

Rich

9 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

No mods needed except perhaps the length of the flywheel bolts. They protrude through the crank flange and may touch the seal. 

As an aside I thought you may have converted your own existing seal.  
http://www.tr4-racing.de/download/splitseal.pdf

Cheers

Peter W

Peter.

You are quite correct, I could easily modify my own, but where do I purchase the lip seal only ?

I presume the "mandrill" used to modify the metal parts is the same thing as the centering tool to fit the seal to the block ?

Bob.

Remember the dimensions for the oil seal scroll centring tool in the workshop manuals is incorrect, from memory 4 thou too large, another reason why the TR leaks from the rear scroll.

Mick Richards

1 hour ago, Lebro said:

Peter.

You are quite correct, I could easily modify my own, but where do I purchase the lip seal only ?

I presume the "mandrill" used to modify the metal parts is the same thing as the centering tool to fit the seal to the block ?

Bob.

The seal only for the kit is sold separately by Marx for 31 Euros - see here  http://www.tr4-racing.de/eng/madmarx-racing.html

Peter W

TR Shop sell the seal or the kit, FWIW I have the fitment tool in both versions. The Christian Marx type and a factory original tool if anyone is stuck I can hire them out.

Stuart.

• 2 weeks later...

That puzzles me, surely the scroll part of the cm seal is the same size as original? His website shows how to modify a standard seal to take the lip seal, he does not touch the scroll area.

Bob

image.thumb.png.2fad1a59a194966267361dbf9c428579.png

This is the original type mandrel above. The one I have is an ex-factory one same as this and I have the Christian Marx one as well, pictured in previous post, I cant picture them side by side at the moment as the original is out on loan. I never go for the machined off type as theres too many variables and once done theres no going back.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

Ok, but I can't see why the "original" should be any different to the Christian Marx one, other than the 4 thou error in the book CM talks about in his installation document

Bob

7 minutes ago, Lebro said:

Ok, but I can't see why the "original" should be any different to the Christian Marx one, other than the 4 thou error in the book CM talks about in his installation document

Bob

I will see what I can do about getting side by side pictures then you`ll see.

Stuart.