TR6 Servo Re-Assembly

Evening or Morning learned gentle folk.

I Had a small leak at rear of brake MC which migrated inside servo. MC away for repair and have removed/cleaned up servo, was working prior and seems OK. Need some help now on servo reassembly please. Questions are:

1. There was some sort of black semi-hardening mastic seal between the square servo aluminium spacer and the firewall/bulkhead. What was this and what should I use now?

2, There is a rubber seal at the front of servo with a metal backing plate. (see photos below). This seals around the servo pushrod. I assume that the metal plate fits inside the larger side rubber seal diameter recess? But it can fit either way round. Which way is correct please, and also is the metal plate facing the brake MC when assembled in servo?  

1800065195_ImageA.JPG.01e20ae1daea5a2e09ebd28e1fa94e9c.JPG

2085894366_ImageB.JPG.90551fda34952862decb1f6b9dfd5dc9.JPG

3. It is recommended the coat all rubber seals with "red rubber". What does this do, and where can I buy a small tube?

4. Is there a document/or posting available for testing the servo without the brake MC fitted?

Thanks and looking forward to some great advice. Cheers, Colin.

I remember that seal, but don't recall how I installed it.

You can do a Google search for "red rubber grease".  Alternatively, most any silicone grease is a good treatment for organic rubber.

For the mounting compound, I used 3M Strip Caulk.

One test you can do without the MC is to see if the servo will hold a vacuum.

See here:  http://bullfire.net/TR6/TR6-52/TR6-52.html

Ed