Seeking recent Don hoods experience for TR6

Hello chaps.

my ancient mohair hood is looking shabby and leaks a bit.  Various attempts to rejuvenate has delayed the inevitable so with a lockdown looking to be just around the corner, I’m thinking about replacing my TR6’s hood with a Don Deluxe mohair.   Does anyone have any recent experience of Don hoods in general and especially their deluxe mohair hood in particular (fit, quality of materials, waiting times, their fitting service, or did you fit it yourself and if so any watch it’s).  Photos always welcome, inside and outside.  PM me if you prefer.

cheers

dave

I bought one from them about two years ago in deluxe mohair including the hood cover and I must say the quality is excellent. I think it was about 3 weeks from ordering to collection. I didn't dare to fit them myself so got a local guy (Joe from Elite Windscreens and Soft Tops - 07711 767972 - who operates all over the UK) to fit it for me. He had it all done in about an afternoon.

I'll try to upload an image shortly, but I'm having internet problems uploading at the minute

Hi Dave.

Yes. Don Hoods made, and fitted my hood, for my TR3a last year. Nice people, and for me, a good job. They will need the car for two of three days. I don't know the time frame now, but I did book my car in, well in advance.

Russell

6 hours ago, aardvark said:

Hello chaps.

my ancient mohair hood is looking shabby and leaks a bit.  Various attempts to rejuvenate has delayed the inevitable so with a lockdown looking to be just around the corner, I’m thinking about replacing my TR6’s hood with a Don Deluxe mohair.   Does anyone have any recent experience of Don hoods in general and especially their deluxe mohair hood in particular (fit, quality of materials, waiting times, their fitting service, or did you fit it yourself and if so any watch it’s).  Photos always welcome, inside and outside.  PM me if you prefer.

cheers

dave

Hi Dave!

They are very good, mine is PVC and has lasted over 34 years. A friend of mine has the Don mohair type on his Stag and that is over 20 years old and still looks good. He does reproof it every 3 years or so. I was told that Don buy their mohair material from the USA which is meant to be a lot better at UV resistance than German material? You do not get the faded patches?

Bruce.

The only question is vinyl or mohair, I love the vinyl look, but went mohair, don’t ask me why, but I’m very happy with it. Don Trimming are great to deal with and work to their quoted times, might be worth getting it professionally fitted though, it’s a handful for a layman.

A23CEDAC-D24F-496E-BF85-DB9CBBE5EDA0.jpeg