Different upper wishbone arm lengths

Hi All,

Whilst refurbishing the suspension components of my 1969 TR6, I have discovered that the left hand side upper wishbone arms are shorter than the right (see attached photo). (The bottom arms are the same length on both sides).

1. Is this right?

2. If not, what are the correct arms for the 1969 TR6?

As an aside, someone has box welded the right hand side arms, presumably to strengthen them. Is this necessary?

Thank you,

Paul

Upper wishbone 30.10.2020.jpg

This shortening and boxing was done sometimes to create negative camber (on the TR4 and upgraded TR3/a) 

but should be the same both sides.  But your long ones are boxed !?!?

others will be along to clarify the proper length

(i daren't really suggest theshortening was done on one side only to rectify a chassis issue. )

Edited by Hamish
Just now, Hamish said:

This shortening and boxing was done sometimes to create negative camber (on the TR4 and upgraded TR3/a) 

but should be the same both sides.  But your long ones are boxed !?!?

others will be along to clarify the proper length

(i daren't really suggest the shortening was done on one side only to rectify a chassis issue. )

That's a HB pencil ! it's throwing the measurements off !

Mick Richards

Hi Paul,

Moss sell new ones and there is one front arm for either left or right and there is one rear arm for either left or right

That would suggest they should eb the same length/

Also why would you want different camber L & R.

Roger

10 minutes ago, RogerH said:

Hi Paul,

Moss sell new ones and there is one front arm for either left or right and there is one rear arm for either left or right

That would suggest they should eb the same length/

Also why would you want different camber L & R.

Roger

As suggested ...accident damage crumpling the wishbone tower in and giving that side about 1 1/2 deg negative camber. The shorter wishbones would give the undamaged side about the same camber.

Mick Richards  

Edited by Motorsport Mickey

Hi All,

Many thanks for your replies. I knew they should be the same(!) - but sometimes with our cars you just don't know...

The chassis is straight and in very good condition. Which suggests that it is not original, so maybe accident damage, bodged arms to counter, then new chassis. When I took the car apart, there were shims galore!

Thanks for the measurement - I couldn't find any in the TR6 Brown Book. And thanks for the observation re Moss catalogue.

The shorter arms are indeed 7 11/32" between the centre of the large bush to the centre of the outer bolt hole, so we know where they were pinched from.

Paul