I'll soon be tackling a job I've been putting off for some time, the removal of a door card. I've read the frustrations of others replacing the pins in the winder & door release handles and I'm prepared for that part. But, the actual coaxing of the card & clips from the door, is there a recommended tool, or will a screwdriver, butter knife, ladies high heal etc suffice?

Richard.

45 minutes ago, DRD said:

You need to use plastic trim tools. You can get them for a few quid on ebay. Really useful for prising off things without scratching the paintwork. 

That's sort of what I had in mind, could you post a link to what you're suggesting?

Richard.

1 hour ago, paul83 said:

The bit I struggled with was putting in the pin that locks the door handle in place. A pair of long locking pliers turned the job from nightmare to relatively easy:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Straight-Forceps-Locking-Pliers-250mm-Stainless-Long-Nose-Lockable-Fishing-HB220/153649518903?hash=item23c6399937:g:vD8AAOxyYSdTFJDO

Easiest solution is to use a thick wire coat hanger. Partially cut it to the correct length so it can be snapped off once the handle is on. This works fine even with the door springs in.

On 10/30/2020 at 8:12 AM, DRD said:

You need to use plastic trim tools. You can get them for a few quid on ebay. Really useful for prising off things without scratching the paintwork. 

12 hours ago, paul83 said:

The bit I struggled with was putting in the pin that locks the door handle in place. A pair of long locking pliers turned the job from nightmare to relatively easy:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Straight-Forceps-Locking-Pliers-250mm-Stainless-Long-Nose-Lockable-Fishing-HB220/153649518903?hash=item23c6399937:g:vD8AAOxyYSdTFJDO

Maybe I'm just an egg or the door cards are further gone than others, but...

Screwdriver worked ok in lieu of trim tools (wrapping some cloth around the shaft protected the paint) & once you sort the technique, the handle/winder pins are ok.  I got some new roll pins and placed w pliers and tapped in.  Need a bit of pressure on the door card against the internal spring (check Moss for the tech diagram)

On 10/31/2020 at 4:32 AM, paul83 said:

You must have either original or good quality repro door handles. There were some repro's made 10-20 years ago that had the hole positioned too far up the shaft. They are almost impossible to fit with the spring and backing plate in position.

12 hours ago, Mike C said:

You must have either original or good quality repro door handles. There were some repro's made 10-20 years ago that had the hole positioned too far up the shaft. They are almost impossible to fit with the spring and backing plate in position.

Same with the current repro window winder mechanism, the stub is a tad short and so same problem with trying to het the winder handle to fit, I cut the springs down which helps.

Stuart.

38 minutes ago, stuart said:

Same with the current repro window winder mechanism, the stub is a tad short and so same problem with trying to het the winder handle to fit, I cut the springs down which helps.

Stuart.

I'll give that a try. At the moment I'm running the handles without the springs-still a snug fit .

1 hour ago, Mike C said:

I'll give that a try. At the moment I'm running the handles without the springs-still a snug fit .

I found that without the springs the handles were too loose.