More pics and tips?

Have been assembling as they say, the Glove box, this can be a bit of a sod to fit, being made of recycled paper its easily damaged, and I,m sure they have become bigger over the years.

Fit all the clips and if you have a kitchen sink, with a smaller sink in the middle this is perfect to put the glove box in and then fill with 4" of water. An hour will do the trick, the box then forms its own shape around the demister hose, and it fits like a glove.

Fitting the Alternator kit is simple enough but the wiring instructions are a bit wayward, the Moss drawing of the regulator differs from the service manual, A and A1 are in opposite positions, Moss quote the Brown cable at "A" whereas brown and blue one are in the Service manual??

Fuel tank arrived and my new Facet pump is fitted, neatly I hope, all hoses now in place, will fill with aqua only initially to watch for leaks.  RHS wings and door back from the Paint shop in  

primer to see if they fit, although every time I trial fit them they can end up in another position!

P1080149.jpg

P1080150.jpg

P1080152.jpg

P1080151.jpg

15 minutes ago, Geko said:

Electric fuel pump in the engine bay gives me goosebumps. Interested to see how you're going to route the fuel line.

Why?   How is that any different from having the mechanical pump in the engine bay?

To keep the original style I fitted a second original one,

top fuse has always 12 V direct from the regulator for hazzard switch and mobile telefon suply,

second fuse (white cable input) is switched 12 V by the ignition (small white cable) and the small relay left behind,

looped from the top (red cable) for my additional electric devices,

the lower fuse box is the original one, so I have 4 fuses now.

That's upgrading enough in my opinion.

4GFxYWoI5nN4Wv550FZ1ZcATsP-ePSyoBCHzi3lFFwnCEyIOR-LoVLYxge7xDU5IcRgMzpokiBxTncoSCGyNlaa4NT1ft1tpTp7InwJ-IPsrxddIDzmQ5fPDBH98lU8_D_z0z-BUsQ=w2400

Edited by Z320
2 hours ago, Chris Hubball said:

Hi Pete

Interested in your fuse box, the type and supplier, I still have the original in my TR4 and am considering upgrading it.

Cheers Chris

Hi Chris,

It looks like the one I have, got it from Halfords, Auto Marine Blade Terminal Fuse Box @ £8/9?

Mark.

Edited by 250

Most people mount solid state pumps in the boot under the fuel tank.

You'll find in the instructions they shouldn't be mounted more than 12" above the bottom of the tank, they are not designed to lift the fuel. They also are sensitve to heat so shouldn't be in an position were the temperature can reach more than 65c.

https://mossmotors.com/media/instructions/377-420_inst_web.pdf

https://www.facet-purolator.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/42664REVC_1-cube-E.pdf

I like to fit two and be able switch between them just in case! But that's just me.

1 hour ago, RobH said:

Why?   How is that any different from having the mechanical pump in the engine bay?

For safety and technical reasons. For safety, it is highly recommended to have an inertia switch installed if the pump is installed in the engine bay. Second, electric fuel pumps should be installed as close as possible to the fuel tank, optimising the suction. I personally don't fancy having the fuel pump installed anywhere inside the car body so I fitted it just above the LH trailing arm.

Edited by Geko
4 hours ago, pfenlon said:

Have been assembling as they say, the Glove box, this can be a bit of a sod to fit, being made of recycled paper its easily damaged, and I,m sure they have become bigger over the years.

Fit all the clips and if you have a kitchen sink, with a smaller sink in the middle this is perfect to put the glove box in and then fill with 4" of water. An hour will do the trick, the box then forms its own shape around the demister hose, and it fits like a glove.

Fitting the Alternator kit is simple enough but the wiring instructions are a bit wayward, the Moss drawing of the regulator differs from the service manual, A and A1 are in opposite positions, Moss quote the Brown cable at "A" whereas brown and blue one are in the Service manual??

Fuel tank arrived and my new Facet pump is fitted, neatly I hope, all hoses now in place, will fill with aqua only initially to watch for leaks.  RHS wings and door back from the Paint shop in  

primer to see if they fit, although every time I trial fit them they can end up in another position!

P1080149.jpg

P1080150.jpg

P1080152.jpg

P1080151.jpg

Your pump will not prime there.

1 hour ago, Geko said:

Second, electric fuel pumps should be installed as close as possible to the fuel tank, optimising the suction.

Not if it is a suction-type pump designed for engine bay mounting - like the Huco.  (I know the pictured one isn't).   As I said - safety wise there is no difference from the standard mechanical pump if you have an inertia switch, and why wouldn't you? 

I personally would not want an electric pump sited anywhere where you couldn't easily get at it. Too many bad experiences with SU pumps underneath the car in the bad old BMC days. 

Edited by RobH
6 hours ago, Chris Hubball said:

Hi Pete

Interested in your fuse box, the type and supplier, I still have the original in my TR4 and am considering upgrading it.

Cheers Chris

Chris I might have a spare if I can find it tomorrow will give you a shout.

On 10/29/2020 at 3:02 PM, Z320 said:

To keep the original style I fitted a second original one,

top fuse has always 12 V direct from the regulator for hazzard switch and mobile telefon suply,

second fuse (white cable input) is switched 12 V by the ignition (small white cable) and the small relay left behind,

looped from the top (red cable) for my additional electric devices,

the lower fuse box is the original one, so I have 4 fuses now.

That's upgrading enough in my opinion.

4GFxYWoI5nN4Wv550FZ1ZcATsP-ePSyoBCHzi3lFFwnCEyIOR-LoVLYxge7xDU5IcRgMzpokiBxTncoSCGyNlaa4NT1ft1tpTp7InwJ-IPsrxddIDzmQ5fPDBH98lU8_D_z0z-BUsQ=w2400

Thats very neat, the reason for my fuse box was purely the age of the originals and the fuses not being held as firmly as the newer type.

21 hours ago, pfenlon said:

Thats very neat, the reason for my fuse box was purely the age of the originals and the fuses not being held as firmly as the newer type.

I used one of those 'repro' Lucas-style fuse boxes (from a "well known classic parts supplier") to add extra fuses, but turned out to be rubbish at handling higher current eg electric fan. Now "upgraded" to modern blade fuses, sadly not original but at least should be reliable.

Nigel