TACHO CABLE ALIGNMENT

Hi All,

I would appreciate feedback on whether or not my tacho cable is fed the wrong side of the master cylinders bracket and, whether the cable is too long. A few photos attached to illustrate. If too long, where do I obtain the correct length?

Best wishes    Willie

P1130718.jpg

P1130720.jpg

P1130721.jpg

P1130725.JPG

Interesting, Stef.

It appears 49.5" is the standard length.  Revingtons actually sell a 51" cable!  I'll do an approximate measure tomorrow and see if it fits spec!  Have you fitted a shorter cable?

Willie

Hi Willie,

The Moss catalogue shows the TR4 RHD tacho cable as 48" in length and this is what I've recently fitted to my own car. The part number is GSD111 and its used on many other cars of the same era so is widely available. You'll find that this will fit much better than your present cable which looks to be quite a lot too long.

Hope this helps

Regards

Mike

YES! I used the wife's tape measure and it is at least 60" to the bulkhead, so actual length is greater.  The debate is now.....48" standard or 51" as recommended by Revingtons.  Should the cable be fed straight from the bulkhead under the master cylinders?  I am hoping for opinions on that too!!

Best wishes     Willie

2 hours ago, Willie said:

YES! I used the wife's tape measure and it is at least 60" to the bulkhead, so actual length is greater.  The debate is now.....48" standard or 51" as recommended by Revingtons.  Should the cable be fed straight from the bulkhead under the master cylinders?  I am hoping for opinions on that too!!

Best wishes     Willie

Hi Willie,

As mentioned, I recently bought GSD 111 (48") as a replacement and it fits fine, although I must admit I hadn't spotted that Revington actually list GSD 113 (51") as their recommendation. The 48" version doesn't seem tight in any respect so the extra 3" is probably neither here nor there really and either cable will be a big improvement on what you've got at the moment.

The route, at least as my installation, is between the rear of the rocker cover and the battery, with a supporting p-clip on the driver's side battery clamp, and then down between the master cylinders to the bulkhead grommet. It should fall fairly naturally to this route as you don't want any tight bends or real tension on it.

Hope this helps

Mike

FYI, the cable routes to the left side of the hydraulic bracket then above the steering column coupling then between the bulkhead the cylinder head. It  fools the edge of the bracket so you may want to add a rubber band on that location. 

on your first pics it routes to the right side, it should go to the other side - that of the steering column (Left and Right are conventionally considered when you're seated in the car ;))

IMG_6687.jpeg

Edited by Geko