tr6 1971 gear change problem

my tr6 drives fine for about two hours then refuses to select or change gear. i turn off the engine, wait a short time, select first and THEN turn onthe ignition and i can drive with the gears hanging ok.

the clutch pedal is firm but i did feel it getting rather weak and then getting firm again after driving for a while.

everything appears ok andthe mechanic can't trace the fault and can't make it happen as it takes about two hours driving to make it appear.

anybody had similar problem or suggestions?

david clarke

Could it be clutch (cylinder) related? If you cannot properly disengage this makes shifting more difficult.

Waldi

• 3 weeks later...

Hi David, I had a similar problem on a trip to Belgium some years ago. It turned out to be the piston in the clutch master cylinder not returning, sticking. I replaced the seals and stretched the spring, solved the problem. 

Hope this helps 

Bill