How do you attach a backlight (surrey top)?

• 5 months later...

Hi

Just picking up on the Surrey Frame to Deck Seal. I'm pretty sure I know what my problem is, just want to know the work around. I've tried both small and large seals, as per pics. The problem is on the forward section of the rear deck, from the seam to the B Pillar. With the small seal I have good compression at the B Pillar end, and just forward of  the seam, and going around the corner, but from about 2 inches or so from the B Pillar I have an increasing gap tween Deck & rubber increasing to about 3mm at the worst point, then runs away to decent compression.

With the frame dropped onto the Deck without seal the gap is clear to see, both sides of the car, with passenger side being slightly worse than drivers. Incidentally no washers under the Frame studs.

Using the big seal, the gap is taken up, but there is significant over compression at the B Pillar end, with the seal lip encroaching onto the SS Finisher. Plus with the big seal, the inside of it fouls with the side of the raised deck area.

So it looks like the forward part of the deck area is lower than it should be, but strangely it doesn't look out against the wing. Would you agree, or is there something else amiss?

Do I need to get me creative scalpel out? Appreciate your comments. Seal pics pinched from earlier thread.

Screenshot 2021-05-16 at 18.39.59.png

Screenshot 2021-05-16 at 18.42.05.png

IMG_4553.jpeg

IMG_4549.jpeg

IMG_4551.jpeg

14 hours ago, meesonia said:

Hi

Just picking up on the Surrey Frame to Deck Seal. I'm pretty sure I know what my problem is, just want to know the work around. I've tried both small and large seals, as per pics. The problem is on the forward section of the rear deck, from the seam to the B Pillar. With the small seal I have good compression at the B Pillar end, and just forward of  the seam, and going around the corner, but from about 2 inches or so from the B Pillar I have an increasing gap tween Deck & rubber increasing to about 3mm at the worst point, then runs away to decent compression.

With the frame dropped onto the Deck without seal the gap is clear to see, both sides of the car, with passenger side being slightly worse than drivers. Incidentally no washers under the Frame studs.

Using the big seal, the gap is taken up, but there is significant over compression at the B Pillar end, with the seal lip encroaching onto the SS Finisher. Plus with the big seal, the inside of it fouls with the side of the raised deck area.

So it looks like the forward part of the deck area is lower than it should be, but strangely it doesn't look out against the wing. Would you agree, or is there something else amiss?

Do I need to get me creative scalpel out? Appreciate your comments. Seal pics pinched from earlier thread.

By the sound of it your forward deck sections have been replaced and the repros arent dead flat around that area where the side of the Surrey sits. They always need careful tapping and body filing and often leading to get them straight as per original.

Stuart.

Tonys TR6 252.jpg

Marks TR5 403.jpg

Edited by stuart

Thanks Stuart, you've confirmed my thoughts, the forward deck areas havent  been touched in my ownership, so must be a previous owner, plus the car didn't come with a Surrey fitted, I'm fitting one as a later addition. Guess I'm going to have to locally Blue Peter a seal to get the compression fit.

Cheers