How do you attach a backlight (surrey top)?

Must be the other way around indeed. The backlight must lay evenly flat on the rear deck which isn't your case. To start with, make sure that the side and rear brown panels fit snug BEHIND the inner edge of the backlight, it looks as though the backlight is just resting on the panels that's why it sits too high. Your side and rear leathery flaps need to go and keep only the cardboard panels like on the pic below.

Screenshot 2020-11-25 at 11.44.51.png

seats .jpg

Edited by Geko

Are you trying to fit it with the original soft top trim in place. 
You will need to remove the original trim around the rear cockpit before fitting the backlight. 
You will need the bespoke hard top rear trim at the rear. I think that the side trim may be the the same although yours will have holes in it for the hood stick mounting. The trim slides up between the edge of the backlight and the tonneau deck after the backlight has been fitted. 

5 hours ago, Geko said:

Must be the other way around indeed. The backlight must lay evenly flat on the rear deck which isn't your case. To start with, make sure that the side and rear brown panels fit snug BEHIND the inner edge of the backlight, it looks as though the backlight is just resting on the panels that's why it sits too high. Your side and rear leathery flaps need to go and keep only the cardboard panels like on the pic below.

Screenshot 2020-11-25 at 11.44.51.png

seats .jpg

Ah ok, indeed the leather flaps are still under the surrey because I like this more than the cardboard plates :). Is there any way to keep it? I think they look nice

2 hours ago, Drewmotty said:

Are you trying to fit it with the original soft top trim in place. 
You will need to remove the original trim around the rear cockpit before fitting the backlight. 
You will need the bespoke hard top rear trim at the rear. I think that the side trim may be the the same although yours will have holes in it for the hood stick mounting. The trim slides up between the edge of the backlight and the tonneau deck after the backlight has been fitted. 

indeed the leather flaps are still under the surrey because I like this more than the cardboard plates :). Is there any way to keep it? I think they look nice

41 minutes ago, Jo Neyskens said:

indeed the leather flaps are still under the surrey because I like this more than the cardboard plates :). Is there any way to keep it? I think they look nice

No Im afraid the rear area on a Surrey top car only has the ordinary vinyl covered trim boards that should sit up under the inner lip of the Surrey frame, theres no way it will sit down far enough otherwise.

Stuart.

18 minutes ago, stuart said:

No Im afraid the rear area on a Surrey top car only has the ordinary vinyl covered trim boards that should sit up under the inner lip of the Surrey frame, theres no way it will sit down far enough otherwise.

Stuart.

Thank you guys for the info!!! Great forum :) . Maybe I can order nicer panels from rimmerbros than I have now

15 minutes ago, Jo Neyskens said:

Thank you guys for the info!!! Great forum :) . Maybe I can order nicer panels from rimmerbros than I have now

Doubt it, I would buy from TR Shop.

Stuart.

49 minutes ago, Jo Neyskens said:

I have not over-tightened the backlight. Am afraid the window may break ;)

If its an original glass theyre quite strong compared to the repro laminated ones. The interior lining should be white and you will need to make up a couple of flat inserts to cover up the sides where the front studs are located, theyre easily done from card or thin ally and covered with headling material.

Stuart.

1 hour ago, stuart said:

If its an original glass theyre quite strong compared to the repro laminated ones. The interior lining should be white and you will need to make up a couple of flat inserts to cover up the sides where the front studs are located, theyre easily done from card or thin ally and covered with headling material.

Stuart.

Ok, thanks Stuart!!! 

Wonder how you managed to do that ? Even with the cardboard panels only it is quite a snug fit. One thing is sure: the backlight isn't resting on the rear deck so you're on for water Ingress and sealing problem especially around the windows

4 hours ago, Geko said:

Wonder how you managed to do that ? Even with the cardboard panels only it is quite a snug fit. One thing is sure: the backlight isn't resting on the rear deck so you're on for water Ingress and sealing problem especially around the windows

Tried without the interior too. Then there was also a space of about half an inch. I thought a good rubber would fill and seal this? 

I have not attached this rubber (Rimmerbros alt version) yet and will send it back. Now looking for a bigger one :)

1 hour ago, Jo Neyskens said:

Tried without the interior too. Then there was also a space of about half an inch. I thought a good rubber would fill and seal this? 

I have not attached this rubber (Rimmerbros alt version) yet and will send it back. Now looking for a bigger one :)

With the backlight sitting too high, good luck in joining the top edge of the windows with the soft top or roof seals. You're headed for trouble methinks 

Edited by Geko
On 11/26/2020 at 10:32 AM, stuart said:

Stuart.

Can I ask another question about an overdrive A-type? :) . 

Do you have experience with that? Is it worth the price? Are there more problems with an overdrive than a regular one?

Just now, Jo Neyskens said:

Can I ask another question about an overdrive A-type? :) . 

Do you have experience with that? Is it worth the price? Are there more problems with an overdrive than a regular one?

Always worth it, when properly built and fitted correctly they are great.

Stuart.

39 minutes ago, Jo Neyskens said:

no more problems than a regular one?

Not if properly built and fitted as I said.

Stuart.