TR6 Carb Issues

I recently bought a 1970 TR6 with twin Strombergs.

This certainly is not a fully restored example, but the mechanics appeared in good shape. One of the items on my checklist was to check the oil level in the carbs, as I suspected, it was low. I topped both off with 20-50. Now the car barely starts! I was careful not to overfill the dashpods, but it appears that somehow there is now oil in the fuel system - is that even possible??

I have considered draining the oil to see if that makes a difference. At the moment I am at a loss.

Any advise would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Pete,

what do you mean you topped off ?

You put in a few droplets (!!!)  and look at the damper height. Dimension A should be about 6 milimeter. Then you screw on the cap.

Your car isn't starting because of a few drops too much oil.

ZS.JPG

A simple check is to take the air cleaner off and push the pistons up with your finger Pete. You should feel the resistance due to the damper oil as they raise but they should raise fully and then drop easily with no sticking when you let go. 

What exactly do you mean when you say the car 'barely starts' ?  Does it stall again as if running out of fuel or just about keep chugging but refusing to rev?

Bear in mind the possibility that under Sod's law, this fault may be a co-incidence entirely unrelated to anything you have done. 

8 hours ago, Pete0922 said:

I'll check it in the morning and adjust as necessary.

Unlikely to be adjustment. Provided the pistons are free it's as George says - much more likely a sticking choke linkage or split diaphragm. 

Morning Pete, 20/50 far to thick for dash pot oil.

Needs to be quite light otherwise its almost impossible for the pistons to lift properly .

Get that oil out , dont refill until you have got the engine running cleanly again

then refill with much thinner oil.

We used Auto transmission oil if nothing else was to hand, worked fine.

Mick.

2 hours ago, Michael Mckiernan said:

Morning Pete, 20/50 far to thick for dash pot oil.

Needs to be quite light otherwise its almost impossible for the pistons to lift properly .

Get that oil out , dont refill until you have got the engine running cleanly again

then refill with much thinner oil.

We used Auto transmission oil if nothing else was to hand, worked fine.

Mick.

Strange you should say that, I have run both my TRs with 20/50 in the dashpots for years, I know straight 20 is the recommended oil but my TR6 seems to prefer the engine oil. Fickle things these old cars!

George 

Really strange as you say " but " if it was ok before you filled the dash-pots !!

As Rob has said check the choke linkage and check the diaphragm's are good

also it might be a good idea to remove the air cleaner just to make sure the pistons rise and fall nicely.

Could be a totally unrelated fault , got to love a old TR.

Just to be clear the engine did run fine before ??

Mick.